Exmark vs Scag Hydros

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vandora Lawn & Landscape, Oct 31, 2000.

1. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious. What are the advantages of Exmark or Scag? Quality of cut? Easy of use? Durability? Maintaince? Cost of operation? Speed?

2. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

I really can't compare the two brands. I started with Exmark ( I have 3 Exmark mowers) and that's all I've ever used. Just ordered a new Lazer for the spring. Happy with the cut, performance and durability. I bought a turf tracer August 20th and now have 65 hours on it and not even a loose bolt. I know when something is new it is not suppose to break, but it seems that new stuff always has a few quirks. Exmark, Exmark, Exmark

3. workorder

workorder LawnSite Member

Do your self a favor check the guage of the steel, and the quality of the welds the engines are the same

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I will speak on behalf of Scag and as Tony th Tiger would say theeeeeeeeyyyyyyy're grrrrrrrreeeeeeeeaaaaaaaT! :) But seriously, I have been using their hydro walk behinds for years now and can't say anything but good things about the quality of cut and the construction. Every mower is gonna have its shortcomings, but Scag definitely does not cut corners in their constrution. The decks are solid as well as everything else on them. They are built like frickin' tanks! I am biased and can say I have had my share of problems, all of which have been remedied. I can say I like the way my Scag stripes compared to the Exmark's as the guy who does a neighboring property can't come close to the stripes I put down. Then again...maybe he just doesn't know how. That's why I'll have that lawn next year! :)

5. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I have been using 61 " scag hydros with velkes
    We have to keep real sharp blades to get a clean cut
    and even then we get mohalks. the 20 hp kolhers also eat
    mufflers-the baffles go and they get real loud some times they only last 30 days-my guys are complaining about their
    hands bothering them after a long day. I just bought a lazer z 23 hp lc and am very impressed with the quality of cut
    I am considering getting a exmark 60"hydro for my next mower

Phil janssen

6. sunrise

sunrise Banned

we use skag hydeos but are changeing over to Exmarks
    use a lazer now and its great hated the skag rider so tried something new and liked it.
    Both are great mowers in the hydro form.

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I will agree with lawn and stump regarding the hurtin hands...although I believe I got mine corrected finally!!! See the thread "My hands are killing me". The problem was the tension spring which was swapped out in the spring to use a sulky. The mechanic did not know there were three resistance level springs and gave me the hardest. After an e-mail to Scag we found out about the middle resistance spring. Now it seems to be fine and have only been using it for a week now, but my fingers seem to have recovered.