exmark vs scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by michindi, Jul 4, 2005.

1. michindi

michindi LawnSite Member

Im getting ready to buy a new ztr and Im looking at exmark or scag. They are both great, but the exmark is $1000 more. I really cant see why I would want to pay that much more for pretty much the same mower. They are both 48 cut. Is the exmark really worth $1000 more? TIA

2. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

no scag IMHO is a much better machine.

3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

SCAG is a much better machine and will last longer IMHO. :)

4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

True true true, Scag is a tank but what makes difference is the cut and handling. In all, # 1 priority you should consider now is how long it takes for your dealer to look into your machine if your have something broken?
    It can't be #1 if it takes you away from mowing like 4 weeks cause dealer can't look into your eXmark Z or Scag turf tiger due to busy season...you get what I mean? Believe me that what happening down here in Florida.

5. iluvscag

Scag gives about the best cut down here. :)

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I hate the footrest locations on the scag so much I would never buy one. I had to sit on one for 3 hours or so at my dealer’s open house this spring waiting my turn to get to go in and see him and place my order I could not believe the pain I was in after that. The seat is got to be like 6 inches lower then the exmark when I am on the lazer my legs are level where my thighs are on the scag my knees are elevated because the seat is either lower or the floor is higher any ways I find this beyond uncomfortable for any length of time. Its funny how something that stupid can affect you but if the machine hurts to use it don’t use it.

As for cut I do not think the scag cuts as good and I know it does not cut any better for what ever reason in 18 years at this the worst landscapers always seem to run scags here. Its not to say that the good ones do not run them some do but when ever I see a lawn that is a complete disgrace clumps every where missed threads all over the place when I finally see the mower its always orange.

7. iluvscag

My SCAGS never have clumping problems. It must be the LCO's that use them down there. The SCAGS leaves a better cut than the eXmarks we demo'd. :)

8. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Two things I dislike about Scag ZTR's: Fuel capacity 8 gal., 2ndly they are way too long compared to Exmark or Hustler. Easy fixes but are not adressed. P.S. They need to raise the handlebars on their W.B.'s only a midget could comfortably cut at that height!

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Not to be smart but if they are better and cheaper why don't they sell more? I agree they are built very heavy and should last a long time. But I hear more copliments on the Exmark cut. Maybe they just need to paint them another color, red maybe. They are long an low, this may help on hills with a low center of gravity but would be uncomfortble for the rider. My friends that had Scags always had trouble with the cut, leaving strips of grass, clumping, etc. and the dealer could never get them to cut right. I still belive they are a good mower overall and the heaviest built.

10. iluvscag

The fuel tank is actually 10 gallons. :)