exmark vs. scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy82, Mar 5, 2001.

1. i have got to ask you guys something-
    i have had a scag belt driven 48 now for a good 5 years, no real problems or anything. most of the guys around here use only scags, some guys use bobcats, but you really dont see anyone with the exmarks, the dixie choppers, snappers, etc. mostly scags, couple walkers, a lot of lazer z's but even the guys that go with the z's use scag for their walk behinds. the lawnmower shop that i work for, they sell hundreds of scags a year, and only a few exmarks. i asked one of the guys which is better, this guy has been selling lawn mowers for 35 years and told me hands down the scags. i asked him why the exmarks are so popular and he said that they are cheaper and that is why. i have another friend who has a hyrdo walk behind with a floating deck (xmark) and he really wants to sell that and get behind a scag.
    so my question to you guys is why do you like exmark so much and at the same time hate the scags? i personally would never buy an exmark and will most likely stick to scags and walkers.

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

no one in my part of the country has scags, from what i know is that the exmark is considered the best. i have never had a problem with them. not a single one, even with my walk behinds. i have a question for you does your scag make your lawns look like a professional ball field? i know my exmarks do with out a strip attachment.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I think that it comes down to dealers, reduction of downtime, and service.

I know that in our area the Exmark guys could exceed the Scag dealer and thus many began to change over.

I also think that quality of cut is the most important factor. Pricing is a consideration, just not when there are a couple hundred dollars in question.

Kris

4. i dunno... i guess they call this scag country for a reason. because i know most contractors in this area use scags. griffins, labriola, small guys too. but i think in my area scags have established themselves at the top. but also i mean a new scag is like 2,900 before tax, no nothing, no attachments or anything, and that is from a couple of years ago too... 48" 14 kawi. an exmark is like 2,600 without anything, same engine and everything. but just i love my scag and i really dont think i would ever really give the exmarks another thought

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Consumer loyalty is what this Industry is all about from the vendors perspective. I prefer the cut of the Exmark, but have found the Scag to be a heavier machine and think it would withstand a lot more abuse than the exmark from mowing crews. I know that I personnaly twirked the handles of our 36 Exmark one time. I was never able to do that with any of the scags we used to own.

This area was pretty much Scag country as well, but most have switched to Exmark as mower of choice when they upgraded from deck mowers to Z-Riders.

Personally, I will not be buying a Z, and am quite satisfied with the results of our decision not to. Why they like the Exmark over the Scag I couldnt begin to tell you.

Kris

6. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

joshua, i live in cleveland and most scrapers use scags and walkers,probably because the closest exm. dealer is 25miles away,also i think exm.people never tried scags.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The cut quality of the exmark is awesome. Here in the midsouth you almost never see a scag. You do not see many exmarks until the last year or so. They are really taking off in my area. Until recently you saw only buntons and toros. People who see the exmark cut and see the ability of the mulch kit are buying them over anything now.

8. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Can Scag match the Quality of Cut that an Exmark gives with the mulch kit installed????? I don't know, that is why I am asking. I demoed a Turf Tracer HP with a mulch kit and cut grass that was 6-8 inches tall down to 3 inches and it left nothing to speak of. Can a Scag do that? I don't know. I do know that Scags idea of a mulch kit is a steel plate blocking off the discharge chute, I think there is more to a good mulch kit than that.
    Mowman

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Down here it is a mixture of Scag and Exmark. Some choppers, but they are mainly used by the county for cutting along the roadways. I choose to use Exmark because of good dealer support. It is also closer for me. Oh and also a very dependable machine so far. That's not to say I would never choose another brand, but for now it's Exmark. I think they are all decent machines, it's more a matter of preference than anything. I feel if you have good luck with a brand of equipment and you are happy with it, then you will probally stick with it.

10. i really dont want to get into an arguement. however - labriola is a multi million dollar business. they only use scags. griffins is a multi million dollar business. last time i checked griffin had somewhere over 500 lawn accounts. labriola is even bigger than that. and that is all these guys use is scags and walkers. so if you guys can come up with a reason for why they arent using exmarks id love to hear it. i just really dont like exmarks. later