Exmark vs SCAG

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by augs dad, Feb 9, 2002.

1. augs dad

augs dad LawnSite Member

I thought I had made my mind up to guy an Exmark 48 "Lazerz HP rider until yesterday when the dealer parked a 48" SCAG Tiger cub next to it. Obvious the SCAG is built like a tank... and their spindles are supposedly the strongest. Price on both is within a few hundred bucks. Somewhere I heard the SCAG is built well but is somewhat clumsy and does not cut as nicely as an Exmark ? In central PA SCAG still rules but Exmark is starting to be seen on more trailers. Would appreciate some OBJECTIVE feedback from those of you who have used both brands...thanks much...Gary in Harrisburg
  2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't say much about eXmarks, since I haven't run one, but i can tell you that I like the Tiger Cub. I've been running a 48" 19HP Kaw Cub for over a year now and it's been a good machine, good cut, etc.
  3. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

I run Scags advantage deck with hi lift blades
    for 3 yrs. have been very pleased. I have thought about trying The Exmarks but if it ain't broke don't fix it. either one will make you a fine mower. All you see here (central In.) is DC's a couple Grasshoppers 1 very large LCO uses Toro's
  4. KJC Landscaping

KJC Landscaping LawnSite Member

I actually run both. I have two tiger cub's 52" 23hp Kaw. They are great. When I bought a new WB, I went to Exmark because of the ECS. Any way I have tried the Lazer Z, same quality of cut, but in my opinion the Scag is built heavier. They are both great machines, so either way you will be happy.
  5. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

I can't say anything about ZTRs because I don't own one but I do have both an exmark 48 and a scag 48. Yes the scag is built tougher for the most part (the deck on the exmark seems to be better built than on the scag), but the exmark cuts alot cleaner. If you will be using the machine yourself I would go with the exmark. If you have to trust employees with it I would buy a scag. Hope this helps.
  6. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

If the final cut from either mower is not to your satisfaction, just put together a striping kit. Scags are like tanks and run very nice but I have to admit th Exmark cuts nicer. Just add a striping kit to the Scag and they will have the same cut.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Cut quality isn't just the ability to stripe. Far from it! It is the ability to cut every single piece of grass, have a nice strong vacuumed suction, and disperse the clippings evenly. Stripes are just the icing on the cake and have nothing to do with quality of cut.

Augs Dad,

You would be much happier with a 52" Lazer HP rather than the 48". Is there a reason for a 48"? (ie: many 49" gates?) The 52" HP gets you a larger engine, and a faster ground speed, not to mention the 4" increase in cut = LOTS more production. But MOST IMPORTANT is the deck offset! The 44's and 48's have a minimal amount of deck sticking out past your rear tires. Trim around a mulched tree ring, and your rear tires will be in the mulch! Trim up next to a building and you have to take a gradual exit turnout or risk the rear sidewall scuffing the building. These things can be avoided with the larger deck. On Exmarks, the bigger the deck, the more offset you get.

SCAGS do "appear" to be built better, but whens the last time you saw a ZTR break??? All that extra beef on a SCAG probably isn't necessary, and only adds up to make a HEAVIER mower that will get stuck quicker and rut up a wet lawn.

Price out a 52" or better yet, 60". There not too much more $

Good Luck
  8. LexingtonKYcutter

LexingtonKYcutter LawnSite Member

I agree totally with TLS!!!! .... But this of course has nothing to do with me being an Exmark guy! HAHAHAhA
  9. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Gary , I am in the same boat as you . I have been looking into the Toro / Exmark z I00 series. I went to the New England Grows show today and saw the Scag Tiger Cub . It looked like a very well built machine . It was very compact . I have not heard of much bad talk of them on this site . The Exmark seems the most popular by far . The Exmark lazer hp series looks larger but here goes . The Toro z100 series 23kawi52" = 909lbs Scag Tiger Cub 23kawi52"=980lbs . The Gravely 250z the larger of the two 23kawi50" =1050 lbs . the scag weighs 71lbs more than the Toro hence the steel and a few other things . I am going to call the local scag dealer and chat it up on Monday , and see about a test drive . the drive controls on the Scag were very tight , I liked that . Ah decisions , decisions . Just think if we lived in Russia we would have one choice , and that would be issued if you were the local lawn guy. Ain't America Beautifull ? I think so .
  10. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

Alot of members here have complained about hydro failures on the scags. do a search and see for yourself