1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark vs. Scag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by clutch20, Jun 30, 2014.

1. clutch20

clutch20 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Michigan

Which do you prefer? Pros and cons of each? Anything to say on either?
  2. crusty_crab80

crusty_crab80 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alaska

Exmark, scag, walker, kubota or commercial toro?

Interested too
  3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Different mowers for different purposes.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I love scag, but I'll admit that exmarks controls are better.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

I like deere. But in all seriousness the exmark cut the clippings up finer and the scag is designed to move the clippings through the deck as quick as possible
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

For more manicured lawns and for good walk behinds I would go Exmark

For a more versatile deck and for bush hogging I would go Scag

In terms of durability both are up there.
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

Ive said this a million times,
    Ill say it again.

Scag is unbeaten for durability. If you are going to own a half dozen or more mowers that your employees run, and abuse on a daily basis. Scag is unparalleled. It's like the family dog that the kids pour stuff on, put bows it its hair, sit on, jump on and the dog never gets angry, it just puts up with the kids.

That's scag.

BUT… I can name a half dozen mowers off the top of my head that cut better, are more productive or more comfortable than scag.

Not a one of them will put with with the crap an employee will do to them like a scag will.
  8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

Ferris has the best hydro walk behinds, always have always will.

Exmark has better marketing, fleet programs and exposure… Ferris has, for whatever reason always been a foot dragger when it comes to getting out there and being a competitive brand.

When it comes to riders, Ferris has a neat thing with their shocks, Im just not convinced it really does what they think it does.
    I for one REALLY dislike the 3100z.

But enjoy making the production records of other mowers look stupid in comparison to my Evos.

I would really really like to get a bunch of people to start buying Ferris walk behinds (still toying with the idea of a Ferris dealership)
  9. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

Just checked out the Ferris WB's on their site. Maybe I'll try one someday. I hate pistol grips, though. Plus, to me Ferris just seems second tier.
  10. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

Are we talking ZTR'S or WB's? If we're talking ZTR's, I want to hear these half dozen names off the top of your head because I've owned some top brands and Scag has them beat. If we're talking WB's, well...