exmark vs scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snowmizer, Dec 9, 2003.

1. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

just would like to get some input on these two brands. will be buying new equipment soon(60' ZTRs) having some promblem deciding between the two. like the scag for pto driven deck and overall build quality, but seems to me the exmark had the better cut., blowout on exmark seems to be a concern.my scag dealer is 15 min. away exmark 30 min. any input would be great appreciated! great forum!!! 1st posting..

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have Exmark lazers 3&5 years old never been in the repair shop. Also i have a 2002 Scag Turf Tiger with 300 hours and has been in the repair shop 5 times. I should have knowed better to buy that Scag but we learn form our mistakes.

3. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

I was in the same situation you are in a few months ago. I research the crap out of everything I buy. You can see the choice I made. By the way, do a search and you will find lots of post compareing the two mowers. You will see more times than not the same people post bad responses about scag or exmark.

When I look at a mower I see the sum of all the parts. For me the sum was greater with the scag. In the next day or so I'm going to put up a review over my experience (over the past month 40 hr) of my new turf tiger.

4. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

G- father,
    thanks for the reply. I look forward to you posting that review.Seems like the more comparison you do the more confusing it can be!!

5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If I had too choose, I would go with Exmark. I own both brands and won't buy another Scag. The Exmarks have been great machines with very little problems. I did however demo the new Hustler Super Z and loved it. It was faster, easier to operate, and gave as good of a cut as my Exmarks. I plan on buying 2 in the spring.

6. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

snowmizer -

Keep in mind this site has a lot of exmark support. They have a link from their factory web site which is how I found out about this site. The good thing about this is if you buy an exmark you can ask questions on the exmark section of this site, a very good resource. I wished scag would have the same service here.

I work on my own equipment so I was willing to shop around a little. I found that scag prices were ~500 dollars less than a similar exmark.

I wished I would have looked at the Bad boy mowers before I made a decision. It looks like they have a very good z at a very good price. I saw they had a 27hp lc 60 z for $5500 on ebay which is a great price in my opinion. The engine alone on that mower is $2000.

7. zz218

zz218 LawnSite Member

might want to ask around your area and see which dealer has better service. Ask dealer if your machine is down does he have loaners that you could use. Could even ask them to look up a part or twoand then ask if they are in stock then ask therm to go get tehm and check part #'s to see if box matches hat they said part #was. This would see to things seeing if they stock some common parts and if the are honest.
    Exmark does offer a 24 hour parts guarantee. I don't know if scagg does though.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If you look at all the after market stuff you can use its exmaek hans down. If you look at cut quality its exmark hans down. do a search and read for yourself.
    Nobody does it better.
    John

664res500.jpg

9. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer Scag myself, but the best thing for you to do is to demo both mowers and decide after that.

10. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

I've ran both. They both do a great job. Glad to help make your decision even harder!
    LOL