Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xhoosier, Apr 29, 2004.

1. xhoosier

xhoosier LawnSite Member

I have been talking to a couple of dealers and am now looking at a Tiger Cub or onr og the lower end ExMark. Can anyone give me their feedback on this. It seems that Exmarks give you more for your money but I wonder what the trade off is.

2. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

IMO- i used to use scags years ago. I know they have made many improvements but i have not used one since. If we compared my two experiences i would say here is the comparison:
    Time on the lawn with the Exmark vs Time in the shop with Scag.
  3. mr scag

mr scag LawnSite Member
    from n e oh

have used scag for 15 yrs. In my opinion they are worth the extra cost. Thicker steel , better spindles and good warranty.
  4. sdog882007

sdog882007 LawnSite Member

I am looking at getting a scag or exmark walk behind, they are both very similar in prices, i am trying to decide which one to get.
    Any help guys?
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a tiger cub, I really like the machine, it is simple to change the belts and preform the maintenece on it. I am very pleased with the tiger cub, far as price, here in va the same size exmark was $1000 more than the tiger cub both are the compact frame , 20 hp kohler and 48 inch deck, just my opinion I prefer the cub
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

sdog- I would go with the xmark just because of the ECS. I dont like the pistol grip controls, makes my hands hurt if I try to use it all day, just my 2 cents worth
  7. sdog882007

sdog882007 LawnSite Member

thank you for your advice
  8. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Having run both units, I'd say that the cut may be a hair prettier on the Exmark, but I think that the Scag is a little heavier built. I bought a new Cub this year because Exmark did away with the foot pedal assist and cannister air filter and made them an extra option where the Cub comes standard.

No problems with either unit.

Scag also is more compact and sits lower to the ground, which I like as well.
  9. glllc

glllc LawnSite Member
    from CT

Scag's are just built better we have 11 and zero complants.
  10. mr. k

mr. k LawnSite Member

i have both an exmark 36 with the ECS and scag 48. It really is personal preference, but i would take the scag over the exmark. the scag is built like a tank, if you go with it, you wont regret it....just my .02, good luck