Exmark vs. Toro 21" commercial

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grassman08, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Grassman08

Grassman08 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Toro commercial self propelled mowers. I know they look same, and toro owns both companies. looking at both mowers. Any differences in cut appereance, ease of use? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

2. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Look up Exmark Toro 21 in Search and you'll be able to find more than what I can tell you. Here's what I think are the 3 main differences between them: 1) Self Propel: Exmark has separate blade brake and self propel bail similar to Lawnboy, Toro has one bail. I find the Exmark more comfortable. 2) The Toro has 3 "kickers" installed under the deck to "aid in mulching." However, I don't think they do that much to help at all. 3) The wheel brackets on the Exmark are aluminum, they're steel on the Toro. Therefore, the Exmark wheels are more likely to rust to the bracket, making it hard to adjust heights. My dealer pointed that out to me when I bought my new Exmark (he also sells Toro).

All in all, I don't think you can go wrong with either mower. They have the same deck and same engine options and I believe both are bullet proof 21's. After using both mowers, I personally went with the Exmark because I liked the way their self propel system was set up since I had always used Lawnboys. I hope this helps

Todd

3. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Aluminum doesn't rust.

4. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Metro 21, it's among the best commercial 21's I've used. Some say the Toro is a better mulcher due to the kickers. I haven't used the Toro but I can tell you from personal experience, the Metro 21 is an excellent mulcher. No clumps, no windrows. As LAlawnboy pointed out, there are some minor differences between the two but in the end they share the same engine options, decks, wheels, and transmissions. In my opinion you cannot go wrong with either.

5. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for pointing out my error. I meant the Toro would be more likely to rust.

6. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple of older Toro proline mowers that I LOVE. They have Suzuki engines on them. I've never used an Exmark, but these are the best 21"s that I've ever had. First pull every time. Mulch great.

7. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned both the toro proline and metro 21" mowers. Basically, they are the same machines except for:

1. Drive system. Exmark has seperate levers for the blade and self-propelled system. Some of the toros also have this but a lot of them don't.

2. The height adjusters are different on the exmark. They're the old ones that toro used to use before switching over to a different kind in 05.

3. The toro has kickers under the deck while the Exmark doesn't. Supposedly, the kickers help make the toro a better mulcher but I've found the opposite. My exmark mulches better than my exmark.

4. The handlebars seem a little sturdier on the toro.

5. Clumping. The kickers on the toro cause a lot of grass, especially when it's wet, to stick to the deck. On the Exmark, there is very little caking or clumping under the deck.

Either machine is an excellent choice.

8. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

For 2008, Exmark started using a bigger diameter tubing for the Metro 21 handlebars. I think, the same size that the Toro's are now using.