1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Exmark vs. Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roscioli, Jun 23, 2001.

1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, i am finally looking to buy some decent used equipment, and have 2 ideas in mind. One guy is selling a year 2000 36" Exmark (i wont find out the model until tomorrow), with a blower, weedwacker, some other junk, and a new 12' trailer for $3300 (was at $4000, talked him down). Another guy is selling a 1994 Toro pro line 36" with a catcher, floating deck, t-bar, and a 14hp motor (i think he said Kawi) for $1300, but i bet i can talk him down to 1000.
    My question to you, which i need advice for by tomorrow morning is this: Should i buy the package deal, or the toro, then a new trailer from a local dealer, and deal with the other accessories later (blower, etc)? I know i havent giving enough info here, but even generalizations about the two brands would be good, like "toros dont last more than 3 years" Or, "Go with exmark, all their mowers beat toros".. Things like that would help too! Thanks, mike

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

The Toro 14hp is a Kohler. (Toro never used a 14hp Kawasaki)

The Model of the Exmark would make a difference. Floating deck is nice, but not really needed on a 36". It's more of a tool for switching deck heights quickly. On a 36" scalping is generally not an issue.

Depending on make/condition of the 2-cycle equip, I'd lean towards the Toro.

3. roscioli

Thanks for the info Kent. I too would lean towards a toro, but this toro is a 94 and the exmark is 2000, with probably 2 months of use, rather than 7 years. So thats where i get confused. PLEASE PEOPLE! I need help before tomorrow! ANY ANY ANY ANY ANY comments would be appreciated.

4. Fallguy

Fallguy LawnSite Member

if that is all the choices you have then go exmark

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Are the mowers belt or hydro? I have a toro thats about 4 years old, and dought i could get that for it. that could be alot of use in that many years. Also how wide is the trailer, if its less than 6 ft wide i would think of that, and is it single or dual axel. The package deal could be good if its a nice trailer. If the trimmer is commercial and the blower is a backpack i would think they are worth $300 used, and depends what the other "junk" is.

6. roscioli

Thank you few who actually responded and tried to help. I ended up not getting the package deal, because my truck wouldnt have made it 2 hours (and the traffic for some reason was backed up for well, probably 50 miles, 4 lanes, all stopped, AFTER i decided not to go). So, today i bought a junko trailer to fix up, its a funny size, but dual axle, so that is good. I will find a mower later i guess. Thanks, mike

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Dual axel will be important down the road, now go out and work on that truck.

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Yes...the truck should be PRIORITY #1 !!!!

If it is hurting to do a 2 hour trip just wait until you start pulling a loaded trailer!

Q:
    What good is a trailer full of greatest equipment if its hooked behind a dead vehicle?

A:
    NONE...ZERO!

My buddy just went through this nursing an old van......he learned the HARD WAY that "time is money" is more than just an old saying. ;)

9. roscioli

Actually, I am in the process of finding a new truck. I test drove a 99 f-250 light duty, but didnt really like it. My truck is running okay right now for the first time in 6 months, so i dont know what to do, but before i do anything serious, i have to sell my honda civic. I bought it before i was really into this landscpaing stuff, figuring it would be a fun car that would last me forever (its the SI, the sport model, blah blah). Honda and sport dont seem to go together in the same sentence without a little choking. SO anyway, my truck can tow okay, but it cant plow for the life of it, no where near enough power to push snow. But yeah, before i drop anymore big money on equipment, i am gonna get a reliable truck. Thanks!

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

"Honda and sport dont seem to go together in the same sentence without a little choking. "

You need a 1990 CRX si 5-speed.

I LOVE mine. Flat hauls azz....for a rice-burning four banger. :D

Still, it wouldn't be very good at hauling 2 tons of lawn equipment. ;)