1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark vs Toro

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ladkin, Jun 17, 2004.

1. ladkin

ladkin LawnSite Member

I understand Exmark is now owned by Toro, but am getting conflicting information about how close the machines compare. I have been told the decks are the same, and....not. I'm told Exmark is the superior line, and....vice versa. Could you clarify?

My needs are for a 48-52 inch deck, the very best at mulching for single estate use on titanium reinforced grass that grows an inch an hour (well so it seems). Approx. 2 acres. So, it's a tough mulching grass, but low hours of use. Lots of tight places, trees fences, corners, drives and not much wide open cruising. Bumpy turf too.

The local Toro dealer is a sales/service nightmare and the Exmark dealer is a good repair shop, but only brings in machines via order and therefore is tough to demo a range of choices.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Can't wait to hear this answer.....................HeHe.......
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Are you looking at the Zero turn riders or the walk behind mowers?

Let me know which machines your looking at and I'll answer here. If you could send me a pm to terry.eckert@exmark.com along with the models your interested in, your address, phone number and the dealer your working with I'll try to arrange a demo.

4. eXmark

Thanks for the e-mail. While these two machines look similar they only share the hydro/drive system/controls, brakes, engine, clutch etc.

The tanks, seat, drive levers, controls, front frame, deck caster tires, caster yokes, deck, spindles (possibly drive tires), etc. are unique between the two machines.

5. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

I heard from my local Toro dealer that "Exmark owns Toro" he also said he can get some parts for the Lazer such as the PTO and bags for the Ultra Vac. Ive never bought my Lazer parts from the Toro dealer but I do buy Kohler stuff from him because he is local and my Exmark dealer is out in the boonies.
    I also got a good look at the Toro Z and they do look alot like a Lazer and the cut is pretty good also, the bagging set-up however has nothing on the Ultra vac....
  6. eXmark

Toro does own Exmark and have for some time now. Very few parts interchange on some of the models. The PTO is one item that does however.......it also fits nearly every commercial mower on the market. As far as the grass bags are concerned they may use an identical or similar bag of some models. You will find however that

Very few parts interchange on the Z's other than a few of the common drive train componants.