Exmark vs. Toro

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by green814, Dec 30, 2004.

1. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

I am in the market to buy a ztr. I am looking at a 52" lazer z hp 23 or the Toro 52" 23 w/ the new turbo force deck. If you could explain the benefits of the Exmark vs. the Toro I would appreciate it. Thank you.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Green,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. The TriVantage deck used on the Lazer HP is the same deck that started our reputation for quality of cut. This deck will generally stand the grass up taller, cut it off cleaner and get it out the discharge chute faster than most decks. It also cuts the clippings a little finer so they fall into the lawn instead of laying on top of the lawn. This gives the lawn a much more manicured cut. Our deck uses a 7 gauge skirt and a 10 gauge top with fully welded seams. We also spin the blades faster than some manufacturers.

I really don't know all the details of the Toro deck but would highly recommend you demonstrate both. I think you'll like the way our deck performs against any deck on the market.

Thanks

Terry

3. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

Thank you Terry,

I would demo,but I am very interested in taking advantage of the promo-no payments/interest till jan/06. The decision to purchase was made over the winter so it makes it tuff to demo as the snow flies. So I am trying to make the best decision based on dealer input and what I have learned from others input on this site. Also, I had looked at a few models lazer z 52" & 60" that day, but I swear the lazer z hp I looked at said ultracut on the deck. Made me think it was a change Exmark had made after the last catalog. Again I could be wrong, but will double check w/ the dealer as well.
    Thank you,
    Chris

4. eXmark

Green,

The HP should have the TriVantage deck and the Lazer Z, XS, XP, EFI etc should all have the UltraCut deck.

Thanks

Terry

5. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

Terry,

Talked to my salesman and he went over & siad "it does have the ultra cut, wait a sec, thats the lazer z as series (was also 52" next to 52"hp)-no its got the trivantage deck." Easy mistake when your looking at a few different models. Anyway, whats the difference between the two decks?
    Thank you
    Chris

6. eXmark

Green,

From a performance standpoint the UltraCut may have an advantage mulching or when bagging/side discharging at higher ground speeds. The UltraCut is 1/2" deeper which allows the deck to breath and manage air a little better in the most extreme conditions. Under what I would call "normal" use you may not see a significant difference but as you approach higher speeds (approaching max speed in many cases) you may see an advantage to the UltraCut.

Both decks share the flow control baffle which helps manage the air, stand the grass up taller, cut it off cleaner and get it out the discharge chute faster than many decks. The UltraCut however has a little more bulk to it. We added a larger re-inforcement plate to the top of the mower deck for greater strength.

The Lazer had at one time a 2 + mph speed advantage over the HP as well as a little more weight. To accommodate the increase in speed, horsepower and muscle we developed the UltraCut deck. Often we find that the Lazer is used on larger properties where the operator can open it up and use its speed. The HP on the other hand can be used on these same properties but often it is used on smaller properties where all out speed is not as important.

Both decks function extremely well and are tailored to the machine they are associated with. In either case I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

Thanks

Terry

7. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

Thank you Terry
    Chris

8. greenoasis

greenoasis LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

Are Toro and eXmark basically the same mower, or is one better then the other?

9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Toro owns eXmark, Toro has new Turboforce deck that is gaining in popularity, but eXmark 's newest deck, Triton, is not doing the same.
    If you still want to go with this camp, better off with Toro.

10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

alot of the issues with the new 30 hp Kohler were led to be blamed that the quality of cut with the triton was the deck's fault, in fact is was more an issue that the engine was running like crap. Most issues up here with the Triton decks were on units that had the 30 Kohler.

There is a new intake manifold I believe that cures the problems.