Exmark VS. Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MIKEJ, Sep 1, 2003.

1. MIKEJ

MIKEJ LawnSite Member

If you where to choose between a Walker 48"GHS 20HP or a Emark Lazer Z 60" with the QDS collection system which would you choose and why? Keeping productivity in mind, speed, leaf removal and cutting in wet grass. Thanks
  2. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

never used the exmark lazer w/ collection system, only w/b. i do have a walker w/ 26efi and would not trade for two exmarks. it does a great job in wet grass and leaf removal
  3. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Ive run walkers since 97...will always have um. Great for Fall clean ups...great for tight areas that we have here in Ma. Its not that great in wide open areas. Bottom line...if its your frontline mower .....make it a Walker!
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I like my Walker but I can't discount the Lazer because it is a great machine. I have never bagged with an Exmark but cut with one. Solid equipment.

I'd really like one of each.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If both collection systems are equal, it comes down to this. Walker will do better in smaller and tighter areas, but is a little slower than the Exmark. If your areas are larger and more open, maybe the Exmark is for you. I use my Walker for leaf cleanups and love it. I also use it in the summer with the 52" SD deck.

Either way, both machines are engineered and built well.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

they both have pro's and con's.

walker won't stick a hill nearly as well as an exmark.
    walker has a full alarm on the ghs where the ultravac doesn't (not sure about the qds system)
    walker is slower and a bumpier ride.
    walker can get in tighter areas (narrower deck and outfront).
    walker doesn't have as much blowout from under the deck (exmark does make an anti-blowout baffle for some decks).

both have their useful points in our world, i think the walker might be a little better in leaf season to a degree. i had a lot of problems last season (with a walker) with getting small leaves (white oak) off the ground. i think the deeper deck on the exmark and the bigger impeller on the blower allow for better lift.
  7. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just one thing to consider, and I know that this will spark some unrest with all the Walker fans out there, but ... from what I have seen and gotten from first hand Walker users around here, the biggest downside to the "Walker" equation is keeping on top of maintenance and the cost of replacement parts.
    All I hear is that the motor went on this machine, the impeller went on that one, the sheer pin broke and I had to get a new set of blades for the other, my guy didn't realize he was that close to the wall and backed into it and broke the springs on the catcher ....
    I think they give a great cut, but not at the expense of all the repair and maintenance issues involved.
  8. rotgg

rotgg LawnSite Member

our exmark has never stoped up not even once
  9. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

you can not compare these two machines, your comparing apples to oranges.
  10. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I am going to agree with Dr. Mow. The Walker is the best machine for tightly landscaped areas. If you are mainly working on large open properties then you want to invest in an Exmark, Dixie, Turf Tiger, Etc.