1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark walk behind mower question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GravyTrain, Aug 8, 2006.

1. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

This is only my 2nd post and I'm still a bit nervous being the n00b amongst so many professionals. I currently mow two lawns (I'll save the reasons for later) and am looking to start hitting the streets hard next summer getting anywhere from 10 to 20 more customers and want to start getting equipment soon. Here goes...

Recently I started looking into getting a ZTR mower. Started at Home Depot and started budgeting based on a 3000 dollar mower. After visiting a local dealership, I realized that the Cub Cadet I was eyeing was not going to cut it. The dealership I went to specialized in Kubota and John Deere and he had me all but signing the papers for the Kubota. I then started looking around elsewhere hoping I could find a different ZTR commercial grade for under the 6400 the Kubota was going to cost me. Looked at Hustler and Dixon without being impressed.

Next, after reading about everyone's enjoyment of Exmark products on this board, I went to check out the dealer who sold them and was blown away with what I found. Here's the catch, Although the ZTR was less than the Kubota, the salesman (who was INCREDIBLY helpful with advice and information) suggested I look at the walk behind mowers.

Finally, my question....I'm looking at getting a Walk Behind Exmark mower. I forget the model number and what not, but more than likely the 44" deck so it still fits on my current trailer. Is there any reason I should not get this, and if so, what other brands should I be looking for?

Thanks for any help, I've got the Exmark guy coming out for a demo on Thursday, so depending how that goes and the feedback I get from other posters here, I'll probably be getting one in the next week or so.
  2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

exmark makes great mowers. do yourself a favor and get the hydro viking for a fixed deck or the turf tracer for a floating deck. the 48'' viking can be had for $4000.00 this will pull a sulke without a problem even in the rain.
  3. GravyTrain

Correction to the model:
    I'm looking at the THP15KA363 with a hydrostatic drive system, full floating deck. It's got a 15hp Kawasaki engine and a 36" deck (not 44"). The reason for the smaller size is to prevent the added cost of purchasing a new trailer.

Is the larger mower worth the additional expense? Or should I be looking at a different brand altogether?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Great pick-- there are others out there but you will be getting a great mower.
    Any time you are starting out and do not even know what kind of yards you are getting --- YES the W/B with velke is the best way to start. It will do everything. a Z will do somethings better but also will not do other things.
  5. GravyTrain

Wow I'm new to this....I've got to ask what "velke" means. That's a term that I have not heard before. Also, another thing I guess I need to know, what are the big differences in the floating vs fixed deck. That will determine if I go with the Turf Tracer HP or the Viking as that is the main difference I see.
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

velke is a brand name of a sulky, its made by Wright Manufacturing....if you are getting a hydro WB, get a fixed sulky and drive the mower like you would a ZTR.
  7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 48" TTHP and love it. Cut quality is great. Go with the ECS controls. I find them comfortable and have yet to have sore hands/wrists at the end of the day.

A fixed deck is just that, fixed. It rests on the front caster wheels, and the rear of the deck rests on the frame by the drive wheels(best explanation I can come up with).

A floating(or hanging) deck hangs from a seperate frame and moves independently of the front caster wheels and rear drive tires. It can follow contours on the ground better for a nicer cut and to prevent scalping. Of course, the fixed vs floating thing is up for debate, lol. Just do a search on the site and you'll see what I mean.

Personally I'd get the floater just for quick height adjustments.
  8. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i have a fixed deck Viking it works great for what i use it for. this machine isn't my main mower though. i think a fixed deck is better for steep slopes and diches (what i use mine for) that bieng said, if i had a walkbehind for my main mower it would be a 48'' turf tracer hp because adjusting the cut hight on a fixed deck is a pain!!!
  9. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

They are both great mowers! You shouldn't have that much of a problem with scalping on a 36" mower. Stay away from the Metro HP ( belt drive) and stick with the hydro. The only real advantage that the TTHP has over the Viking is the ease of heighth adjustment. Demo both of them and change the cut height of both mowers and you will see the difference. If you can live with the Viking then bye it and save some money!
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I am in a fairly hilly area with lots of slopes to the water. So scalping is something I need to avoid--
    We ran fixed on 36" decks and flote on anything larger.
    If everything you cut is flat than fixed may work for you.