1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

exmark walk behind Mulch Kit Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rbljack, Jun 8, 2013.

1. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Ok, so im looking to expand my mower fleet and add either a walk behind or a stander. I read that the Mulch kit is an accessory for both mowers. My question is this: Does it bolt on underneath to create baffles, or is it something that can be added and removed (like a plate on the side of the mower deck)? I need to be able to switch from bagging to mulching, and side discharge isn't an option for me.

Any help on how these mulch kits work would be appreciated. I should mention that the post above is in referent to the exmark, but if another company has a better option, please feel free to recommend another option if there is a better one out there.

thanks

2. Exmark PR

Exmark PR Sponsor

Our mulch kit design will fully enclose the blades and change the deck into mulch only. From what you are describing you want to do I would say a OCD would be your best choice. You could easily go from bagging to mulching.

3. rbljack

from Texas

Please explain....OCD?

4. hawaii

hawaii LawnSite Member
    from canada

I would be interested in some info on the OCDC also, the website has very little info.

5. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The mulch kit comes with blades and front baffles. You simply bolt the baffles into place - ExMark's instructions are simple enough that even I was able to do it w/o help, and that's saying something. Once everything is installed you won't be able to side-discharge. You'd have to remove the baffles to do it.

OCD is operator controlled discharge, a solution that should have been introduced a long time ago. It let's you manually change from mulching to side-discharge on the fly. More expensive but absolutely worth it.

6. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Actually a OCDC doesn't allow you to mulch entirely, but merely block the discharge opening so grass doesn't get all over stuff, A mulch kit uses different blades and baffles to make a true mulching setup, they are very different. An OCDC will leave a streak of grass clippings done the discharge side, because everything is accumulating there, where a mulch kit isolates each individual blade, basically making 3 small mulching decks under the deck, hope that helps.

7. rbljack

from Texas

this does help. I read up on the OCD kits, and now understand what they are, and you answered my next question about them. its pretty much a guarantee that there will be clumping on the right side by the discharge chute when its closed huh....that sucks....LOL