Exmark Walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patfo, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Patfo

Patfo LawnSite Member

I currently have a 36 in Snapper walk behind 14 HP Kaw. I'm wanting to upgrade this year and maybe go full time. I'm wondering what a 48in or 52in gear drive Exmark walk behind is costing (roughly) as opposed to hydro drive. I think the 19 HP Kaw is the biggest they have which is what I'm interested in. Anyone have an idea-feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you for all the info on this site!
  2. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

Around here the Exmark 48" belt drive goes for around $2500
    and the 52 inch hydro (Turf tracer) with the 17hp kawasaki is around $5000
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Metro HP FLOATING deck 48 inch cost $3300.00 in our area.

Prices will vary depending on dealer and region.

Ryan, that 48 inch, is that a fixed or a floater? Sounds good if it is a floater.

4. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

It is a fixed deck.
  5. Patfo

Patfo LawnSite Member

Are those prices w/ the 19 HP Kaw? If not how much more $$ to upgrade the horsepower to the 19 HP? Thanks!
  6. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

If you are getting a 48" belt then the largest engine you will need is a 17hp, they come standard with a 15hp which is plenty of power, but the 17hp does have a little more kick. If you are going hydro, get the largest you can get, probably a 17 or 19.
  7. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

What is the advantage of the floating deck.
    Is it less scalping?
    Is it that significant?
    I assume that a 36" is small(light?) enough to negate, or signficantly diminish, the advantages of a floater?
    As well as the advantages of a hycdro over belt?

Compare, side by side:
    one lawn cut w/36" hydro/floater.
    The other lawn cut w/36" belt/fixed.
    Both done by persons familiar w/ their equipment.

Can the home-owner tell the difference?????

Would your answer be different for a 48"?
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Island Lawn,

There are many variables to your question.

In my opinion, if you take a relatively flat lawn with the 36 floating hydro, and the 36 fixed belt, the results should be real close. Although the hydro shall save you a little more time.
    If you have many HILLY properties, I would go with the hydro. As far as your fixed or floating, either machine should give you the same quality cut. Although the floating deck will give you the advantage of quick height adjustments.

The 48 inch machine I would go with the floating deck being as it has a wider cut.