Exmark WB mulch kit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I DID do the search and read till my eyes were cross eyed. Perhaps i was searching for the wrong thing. I dont know.

The question is this:
    I have a 52" Exmark WB hydro. I have been contemplating putting one of them thar fancy shmancy mulch kits on there. How do yall like em? I talked to one local guy that has a fixed deck and he loves his. He has had to put spacers under the spindle though to give him more room above the blades. His is a 48" fixed deck belt drive though. So now i am wondering if i should get it for mine or not? I dischared most of last year. I (Or more likly my employee) have put some grass siding up. lol. I got a couple of complaints of grass in bark too. These complaints are mostly due to bad employees. Go figure.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Acute Cut

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

acute, i have a metro hp 48" and use the mulch fit for it and my lazer they are the next best thing next to the mower, they work unbeleivable. it is a great investment, o would buy one if i was you , you won't go wrong with it.

3. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer kind of steered me away from it.
    Things are very sandy here, and he thinks that the mulch kit knocks alot of sand around. Dulls the blades, wears out the baffles, etc.

48in. Metro HP

[Edited by Island Lawn on 03-11-2001 at 08:02 PM]

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I have a TT which has had only the kit on it since new (96). Huge timesaver IMO even if u need to do a quick double cut in the spring still beats bagging cleaning out beds washing cars and siding etc.

5. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I demoed a Turf-Tracer HP that had one installed. I was totaly impressed with it. If I was to buy an Exmark product I would invest in the mulch kit. I passed on the WB and bought a Walker w/ sidedischarge, and many times I have to Double Cut to get rid of the clippings. Do not get me wrong I love my Walker, I only wish they made a mulch kit for the 54 inch deck that I have. I feel that Exmark has the BEST MICRO-MULCH KIT on the market today. So go for it, you will not be SORRY.
    Mowman

6. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

ok,. well thanks for the info guys. I think that i will go ahead and get the mulch kit. It will save me from trying to clean wet grass off of the sides of the houses and get the rocks to stop shooting little kids in the eyes. (bad joke, sorry)

If it doesnt work out then yall will know via a post about my mulching woes. Also, it is only like 180$ investment. I am not going to lose my shorts if it doesnt do what i want it too.

Acute Cut

7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in Central Florida almost no one doing Residential lawns side discharges. The reason is that the mulching kits work sooooo well. Our season is such that we don't get extremely heavy grass until around July (almost every day we get an afternoon thundershower,makes it grow like crazy). That is the only time of year that we may have to double cut a few areas where it's really heavy grass. Other than that all my lawns look like they've been bagged. By the way, I have a 52" Grasshopper that I use Exmark blades on because I think they are the best on the market!

8. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer also tells me not to worry about having super sharp blades... they use an angle grinder and a vise.
    They have told me that its not the sharp edge, bit the angle that counts.

I dont agree w/ em on this.

And now I am re-thinking their advice on the mulch kit...

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

You need to slap him upside he head! I would re-think my dealer if he was giving out that advice!

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I've had an Exmark 36" Viking (hydro) for nearly five years. Two years ago I bought a mulch kit, less the blades. I had used a Snapper Ninja blade very successfully on my old Snapper 21" mower that I opted to use 2-18" Snapper Ninja blades on my Exmark. I had seen one contractor use an Exmark 48" mower with full Exmark mulch kit and was not satisfied with his result. Perhaps the Ninja blades would do better.

I bought the combo primarily for one yard. At that time I had many yards requesting bagging, but one that didn't require bagging was growing fast, and I was having a hard time keeping clippings out of the nicely mulched beds.

The kit was used for a few times during the growing season, and then again for leaves at the end of the season. Last season, I didn't mount it one time.

Why? First, it took my 20-25 minutes to mount and another 20-25 minutes to dismount the kit - too long for a mowing job that required about 1 hour of mowing. SEcond, the quality of cut was not what I liked. The lift is less than my usual hi-lift blades and the Ninja blades left a small streak down the middle. Third, I couldn't use the mounted items except when the grass was dry. Early morning dew often leaves the grass wet until late in the morning, and the mulching works very poorly when grass is wet.

Last season I used double blades and explained to nearly all my bagging customers, "...no more bagging." The properties that formerly required bagging were OK in discharge mode. The major problem was keeping clippings from beds, a problem the mulch kit solved.

I expect that I have the kit investment in permanent retirement. I believe that very few contractors in my area do mulching on a regular basis. I formerly had one working a property next to my customer, using a Gravely. He lasted part of a season because of the very poor results, primarily because of damp conditions.

Oh yes, the kit as I configured it did extremely well for mulching leaves in the Fall. However, double blades did nearly as well. When very heavy, I used double passes over the leaves.

Roger