Exmark WB Mulch Kits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Jul 29, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Has anyone used the eXmark mulch kits for their wb's? Do they work real well. I mow so close to houses that I can't side discharge in case I throw something and bagging just wastes time. I hope it works. Input is greatly appreciated as always! THANKS :cool2:

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I bought one for my Exmark 36" Viking a few years ago. I used it a few times, and it has set in the shop for years, unused. Yes, it keeps clippings from beds and hitting the sides of houses, etc, but I only needed it a few places. The time to mount/dismount was simply too long (about 20 minutes on both ends).

The turf in my area are cool weather grasses, and will growth rapidly in the Spring. The result with the mulching kit was not good -- did not leave a nice finish cut, left a small row where the two blades came together, clumps.

I either bag in tight places, or use selective mowing patterns to direct clippings where I need to blow them.

With all the posts on LS that talk about how well mulching works, it is clear that local conditions vary widely from place to place. I rarely see anybody with a mulching kit on a w/b or ZTR in my areas -- they just don't work.

3. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Metro and have run one from day one. Yards look like carpet when done everytime. No problems in taller grass either.

4. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

We keep a mulching kit on a 48" TTHP. One crew takes it on Monday and Tuesday and another crew takes it on Wed & Thurs. We have several places on commercial and municipal jobs we have to have it. It slows down cutting and tends to clump in thicker grass but is an evil necessity for us.

5. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

Just purchased a TTHP (48/17) and had the mulch kit installed before delivery. I am very happy with the quality of the cut. No clumps :D I will take it off for the spring and side discharge and put it back in for the summer.

I was concerned about the cut quality but not anymore. All I have to do now is fabricate a striper.

Norm

6. mcwlandscaping

Let em now how the striper turns out. Maybe you can make it to fit on my Metro. I'd buy it. Thanks!

7. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have one on a 36" Metro and it works very well. Go ahead and get one, you will not be sorry.

8. Buckeye1

Buckeye1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

If you want to close off the discharge for short periods of time but still discharge as normal most of the time, take a look at the ezchute. Its not a true mulch kit but it does work well for temporarily shutting off discharge around homes and cars.

9. mcwlandscaping

Thanks for the help on this one. I wish it wouldn't take so damn long to ship it. THSNKS AGAIN!

10. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the mulch kit for my 48 hp. It works great early in the season and great when the leaves begin to fall. Spring growth is a problem.