eXmark WB prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MichaelD, May 9, 2004.

1. MichaelD

MichaelD LawnSite Member

First, thanks to all who have contributed to the various threads running on this board. After reading through many of the threads, I think I've found my WB.

The winner is the 48" eXmark Metro fixed deck. This WB is not for commercial use but for a homeowner with 1.3 acreas of lawn.

My question now is how much should I expect to pay. First dealer I talked with quoted $2700 for 48", pistol grip with the 16 hp Kaw engine.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd get a Toro 48" fixed deck instead for the T bar steering. 14hp kawi I believe, but identical metro deck is used on it.

3. MichaelD

MichaelD LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, Bruce. Is the Toro cheaper?

How much different is the Toro tbar compared to th eXmark ECS?

Thanks again

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

The Toro T bar is quite different. ECS is basically a variant of pistol grips and works pretty much the same. The T bar is a "push to go" system where you control the speed of each wheel by pushing on that side of the bar. You pull back to brake each wheel. Very little grip strength required. The biggest advantage is that it releases to neutral. Let go and it stops. Push and it goes. With pistol grips/ecs you first set neutral locks, shift to the speed you want on the gear selector, then release the locks and your hands are braking the wheels by squeezing the levers. Let go and the engine kills. You're basically setting it to "full speed" and slowing the mower wheels to turn it. So except in open areas you are generally always squeezing one of the levers or both. With the T bar you're just leaning into it mostly, a lot less effort I think. You can use one hand, switch hands, walk beside it with one hand steering around low branches, etc. Very easy to use.

T bar usually adds $300 or so to the price, I think it's worth it.

Not sure about dealer prices, they can vary a lot of course, but a website called Alamia.com sells them over the internet direct. I bought a 32" that way. They arrive in a crate and you spend about an hour doing some light assembly (handle bars, control rods, etc).

The toro 48" 15hp Kohler single cylinder is $2895 shipped to your door. I used these engines for years on older toros and had very few problems. I've had more problems with the supposedly "better" Kawi engines (13 and 21 hp) on my new mowers. You might want more power, but it's adequate for routine stuff.

http://www.alamia.com/index.asp?PG=80&ID=709&VSP=1

5. MichaelD

MichaelD LawnSite Member

Hi Bruce,

Thank you again for this information. I found a local dealer that will sell me the TBAR 48" with the Kohler for $2799 ($100 more than the eXmark pistol grip and the same as the eXmark with ECS).

Funny, I found Alamia.com yesterday. It looks like I am getting a pretty good deal from my local guy who said he'll deliver it for free, assembled, gased up, and ready to go. I like Toro's current finance promotion choices also.

BTW, I was leaning towards the Kohler engine anyway.

So it looks like I'll be going with the Toro. You have changed my mind. Thanks again.

Michael