ExMark WBH 52" - I need your opinions!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LakeCountry, Jun 11, 2001.

1. LakeCountry

LakeCountry LawnSite Member

I did my last demo this weekend before I decide ona machine. This time I used a 52" Exmark WBH. 16hp Briggs Vanguard gear drive with a floating deck.

I was ver impressed with the cut quality on this machine - much better than the Cub Commercial! The gear drive was in now way the hinderance I thought it was going to be. I have decided to go gear for sure...

So does anyone have an opinion on the Briggs engine? This machine was very quiet and very smooth to operate. I can buy the mower with a sulky for $3200. Any comments?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Back in the 80's, Briggs had a valve seat problem, but that was fixed many years ago. As far as I know, they are not bad engines. I have a few on smaller tools that have been OK, but do not have a lot of hours like you will be putting on.

3. LakeCountry

LakeCountry LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention that this is a Vanguard commercial engine. I assumed you all knew that...

I know Briggs has a good reputation on smaller engines, but want to be sure I'm not going to have to swap out to a Kawi in a year or something...

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the vanguard has a excellent reputation. keep everything clean and
    it should last.

5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had this engine on my 48" Metro. I dont use a sulky, but it has been reliable and problem free for me during the last 14 months.

I have heard good things about the "Vanguard".

The price sounds good too.

6. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

When did they start making that?