1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark wheel drivebelt slippage??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Dave Holl, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Dave Holl

Dave Holl LawnSite Member

Hello everybody,

This is my first post here. I have an Exmark Metro 48" belt drive mower walk-behind with Velke. I LOVE IT, EXCEPT when the grass is wet, or I pull through some water on the lawn.

Question: Is there ANYTHING I can do to minimize wheel drive belt slippage? I have the banded double wheel belt (single belt with a band in the middle) The belts are adjusted correctly. Maybe it's the nature of the beast.

Thanks Dave Holl
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

hey i was having the same problem with my metro hp 48" i took it to the dealer and had him adjust the belts, the belts have 3 settings mine was on the 1st, they said all belts are set on that when they get them from the factory and keep them at that, unless you want they set tighter. but they never told me this i had to find it out for myself. i had it set at the 2nd setting and now it doesn't slip when i cut on steep hills and when its wet out. talk to your dealer and have him adjust the belts. good luck to you
  3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I solved the problem of wet conditions by installing a Toro
    T bar in place of the pistol grips. I did this on a 48 scag
    and a 52 Lesco. Check out Toro's 48 fixed deck same as Exmark except for T bar. The reason is withthe T bar the
    operator tension the drive belts. with pistol grips most
    drive belts are spring tensioned and slit when wet. The T bar will go backward even up a trailor ramp.
  4. Dave Holl

Dave Holl LawnSite Member

Thanks for your replies!!

Where are the adjustment settings located for the 3 different belt tensions? I'd like to be able to do it myself.

Dave Holl