EXMARK wheel motor / hydro NEED HELP FAST!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hobbsd, Nov 21, 2007.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

Ok, So its 1:40 AM and I'm trying to get our main machine back up for the last day of clean-ups.

The sharft in the wheel motor broke, so I bought a new wheel motor, took the pump off, cleaned the pump out part by part, DRAINED the hyrdro system, then put it all together.

I re-filled the resevoir and started it up on blocks. The side with the new wheel motor doesn't work at all! Absolutely no movement. I am confident that every is put together correctly but what is wrong?>????

Do I need to do something else special when I put the new components in?

Please help soon!!!
  2. hobbsd

from west wi

anyone ?
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Does the above mean you took the pump apart to clean it out ?

There is nothing special to do when replacing a hydro component other than bleeding the system of air with the wheels off the ground.
  4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Not really sure why you did anything with the pump. Unless something internal to the motor broke and circulated through the pump there is no reason to take the pump apart.

Sounds like the motor output shaft broke externally to me but maybe I am reading this wrong. If thats the case clean everything, disconnect 2 hoses, remove wheel motor, install new, reconnect and then fill with hydro fluid and bleed the air out...

Sorry it took so long but I usually dont browse the internet from 1AM to 7AM...that time is reserved for something called sleep.
  5. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, here in oz if a wheel motor goes down from a broken dog bone shaft [internally in w motor ]the whole system is stripped and cleaned . The hoses r changed also to avoid any further contamination re occuring . [metal pieces can lodge in hoses and come out at a later date causing further grief] .The filter is changed also. This procedure is how it is done under warranty . In the real world it most likely be done how your describing .

split systems save cost and a long down time period if a failure occurs

6. shop22

shop22 LawnSite Member

We have done a few for a comm cutter that had the same problem. His shaft broke internally in the wheel motor sending those pieces through the pump, hence wiping out the pump. we replaced pump and wheel motor both times along with fluid and filter change and cleaned out lines and good as possible
  7. hobbsd

from west wi

Yeah, So I did all the above, but when I went to "bleed" the lines nothing happened on the side I replaced.

The pump is spinning but does nothing. No noise or anything, just doesn't do anything.