1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark with EFI or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Armadillolawncare, May 11, 2007.

1. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at purchasing either the 2007 Exmark 60" 28 Kohler with EFI for $9999 or the 2007 Exmark 60" 27 Kohler without EFI for $8999. Can anyone tell me what the benefits of having the fuel injection versus not and if it is worth it? I don't want to have to rely solely on what the dealer will tell me. Thank you for your assistance.
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 27 Kohler. It uses 1.18 gallons of fuel per hour. The 28 will start easier, use less than 1 gallon per hour and the throttle will seem much more responsive. It will take a lot of hours to pay back the price difference so you just have to figure out if it is worth it to you. The reliability of the 28 seems to be very good but repairs can be costly if they are ever needed outside the warranty period. Your call.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There seems to be some nagging problems with the EFI. I do have it on my Dixie (28 EFI) and I've had no trouble but...

Dixie was one of the first mowers to use EFI and they have discontinued the engine from their lineup. They said it's just not worth the headaches. I suspect it's a issue of getting local dealer mechanics to work on them when there is a problem. A lot of mower mechanics see EFI as some sort of black voodoo that doesn't belong on a mower.
  4. Armadillolawncare

Anyone else with actual experience with the EFI wanna chime in, I'd appreciate it.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 26 EFI on my 2000 Lazer and the thing runs like a champ - even to this day. Great powerband, easy starting, and and all out great dependability. one thing you ave to understand about the EFI's, is that they are always given just the right amount of fuel for whatever conditions the engine is enduring. In the long run, this is also going to add to the engine life, as excess loading and richness is not done like with carbed motor.
  6. desii

desii LawnSite Member

I am thinking about the same thing...somewhat. I just talked to my dealer regarding the 72" Exmark with either the 35HP (carbed monster) or the 29HP EFI (I think that was the size). But I'm responding because of the price I was quoted. I'm pretty sure the 35HP was $10,000 and the 29HP EFI was $10,500. I, too, was told that the EFI would be much more efficient and responsive.

I currently have the 27's with carbs (60")and have heard that the 28 EFI is more efficient.

Let us know what you do, but I think I would go with the 28 EFI. JMO.
  7. Grasman

Grasman LawnSite Member

Like Runner I also have a 2000 Lazer with a 26 EFI that is still going strong at about 2000 hours. Never had a problem I could not fix myself. I keep this one now for a back up. I have had another 26 that I sold, no problems I just always try to replace equipment on somewhat of a regular time base. I currently have three 28 EFI 60" Lazers and have had no problems with any of them. As it stands now, especially with gas prices, I will continue to buy EFI machines.
  8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have owned two 27 hp Kohler's on Hustler Super Z's and I now have the 28 efi with 210 hrs. on a 2006 model Super Z. The 28 efi has been flawless in every respect, it cranks easier (no choke), it runs smooth as silk, it feels like 30 + hp in comparison to the 27's because it has no throttle lag. The response time from rpm pull down is twice as fast so you don't notice it trying to bog because of blade speed dropping. You can switch it off in any throttle position without worrying about backfire (which the 27's will), it will start the blades in the lowest throttle setting on the mower (which still amazes me). The fuel economy is better, but you want pay the difference in price with fuel, unless you run a lot of hrs. Every time you check the oil it is full, I added a little until the rings set and that has been it. The 28 efi is the same engine as the 27 but fuel injected.

I personally would not buy another engine on a mower that was not electronic fuel injected. It would be impossible for a engine to be any more perfect than the 28 efi I have at this time. I ran it until dark today and it may blow up the next time I use it, if so I will have a new one Monday, that is how much I like the difference. I can't say enough good about the Kohler 28 efi.
  9. Armadillolawncare

Thanks for all the comments I really appreciate it. Monday I will pick up my 28 HP EFI Lazer Z.
  10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Please come back and let us know what you think about your engine. Thanks!