Exmark XS 31hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sgoalie23, Jan 18, 2005.

1. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

Has anybody demoed the new Exmark XS with the 31hp Vanguard by Briggs + Stratton. If so, explain how you thought the machine was. Looking at a Lazer Z of some sort.

2. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

Has any one used the Vanguard on anything? How is the power, gas consumption, noise, ETC..

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I've never used one but I can tell you that they are very good engines. They are made by Diahatsu which is owned by Toyota. I have read the specs on the engine and I believe it would be a good engine choice. They are supposed to run fairly quiet and I don't know about fuel consumption.

4. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

Things have most likely changed since my last vanguard engine (18hp) on a grasshopper 718, however it was quite prone to oil-fouling the spark plug on the cylinder facing downhill when side-hilling.

I'm not sure if that is still an issue with the vanguards, but it is something that I'd certainly watch out for on a demo.

5. david

david LawnSite Member

I have talked to the owner of a Dixie Chopper with this engine and 72" deck. He says it will flat get it but he uses over 20 gallons of fuel a day. I asume he meant an 8 hour day.