Exmark XS advice ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Monster, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Turf Monster

Turf Monster LawnSite Member

Hey all! :waving:

I have been lurking here for a year now- reading, learning ( i hope).Got a new Exmark LXS31BU66 -- 31Hp Briggs w/ 66" Triton deck ztr. Whoooo Hooo:clapping: Just had to tell somebody who would appreciate a fine machine like this.

Sooo. I had to replace my aging Grasshopper 1820 52" cut 18hp Vanguard of 1982 vintage. I've had it the past 13 yrs and used it primarily to cut 2 1/2 acres. Great machine- still is. Deserves a respectful retirement.

I tested out the Kubota ZDR and it was nice, but I wasn't as impressed with it as I am w/ their loaders/excavators. Didn't have the quality feel. Also tried the gas model, but why buy a Kubota if it's gas? Besides, diesel is $$-obscene-$$ While I was at the Kubota dealership I watched their lawn care crew unload their exmarks and get to work. ha ha ha.

I planned to demo a Bad Boy mower- (have you SEEN that video on youtube? link), but dealer is a ways away.

Off I went to try some exmarks at a place I thought was a dealership- had signs out-front and all. Went in and there were no mowers to be found- all rental stuff. Sales guy says they dropped the line - He did have a few demos. :cool2:

We go in way back building and he has a couple lazer ct's and a big fat 2007 XS with 5 hours on it. It was marked $10,800 MSRP on the tag. The flip side had SALE $8900. Sales guy says they want $8 grand for it.

Now I'm there w/ my wife and she's giving me the look of "what the hell happened to a $4K mower like I saw on the back of the Northern Tool catalog?"

So I say to the sales guy" $7 grand and I'll take it." He phones it in to the manager and the deal is done! Receipt says "new with warranty", but I'll have to beg some other dealer to honor the warranty-- need be. $7 grand is alot of cash for a residential-use mower, but i expect to have it 30 years. deck sure won't rust through!

So my question about this beast is are there any special recommendations or modifications suggested? I read an interesting post about how the Triton decks need to have baffles adjusted for Northern grass. Stuff like that. Things to watch out for?

Does anybody have a Service Manual in PDF around? that's be nice to have. I asked sales guy for theirs- as they no longer are dealer- he said he'd ask. i can post it if i get it.

Sorry so long for first post!

2. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

Holy cow, you stole that mower. just do regular maintence on it and be happy!

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark hasn't put a 31 Briggs on an XS in a few years. So you probably got an older model left in stock, not that that is a problem at that price. They put the 31 Briggs on the regular Lazer now and the 35 Briggs on the XS.

I think all the above is true, I could have made a mistake but I'm almost sure the 31 has been off the XS for a couple of years.

4. Turf Monster

Turf Monster LawnSite Member

Ahhhh. So it's not a 2007. oh, well. By the time I go to sell it in 30 years a 2006 or 05 or whatever won't be any different than a '07. That does explain why when I went to download the manual, I found my serial number a few revisions back. Sales guy admitted he didn't know a thing about them.

How can you date an exmark? is there a serial lookup sheet? mine is 6253xx
    thanks!

5. lawnmaggot

lawnmaggot LawnSite Member
    from tn

I think 06 was the last year for the 31 on the XS

6. CogentRES

CogentRES LawnSite Member

Be respectful, listen to it's problems and open doors for it.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Call Exmark at 1-800-667-5296. By using the serial # they should be able to tell you all you want to know about year, model, features, etc. I'm not sure when they updated the decks but if that model doesn't have the Triton update then that should be done free of charge. I'm really not sure when they switched form the Ultra Cut to the Triton deck. Excuse me for not knowing more but the Exmark rep will be more than happy to tell you if this machine needs any updates. You are correct, If you plan on using it there will be very little difference in the value in a few years on an 06 or 07. I would check into it, sounds like you may get a really good deal. That's what I ended up with if that makes you feel any better, a left over model at a low price (Scag). That is one of the best ways to get a good deal, find a dealer that has an older model still in stock.