1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark your turn

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by JJOHN22042, Mar 10, 2002.

1. JJOHN22042

JJOHN22042 LawnSite Member
    from MA

Well I have been looking at the Metro Hp 48" the Best price I can get here in MA is $3300(without Bagger). Now on Saturday the Scag Dealer called me and said he will sell me a new Scag at last years Price and throw in a Free Bagger.

Both Scag/Exmark are close for service but Scag is beating Exmark on Price and the Exmark dealer will not move on his Price. Have tried both Both Mowers are Great so Exmark make me a Deal or something will be buying within the next 4 weeks.:confused:
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thank you for the post. Unfortunately I can't speak for your local dealer. As a manufacturer we try not to set pricing at the dealer level. Some dealers will charge more based on what they feel is fair in their area and also to help support that added benefits they may offer such as parts inventory, loaner units and qualified technicians. Al lot of these should be factored in when purchasing a new machine.

You should also be aware that you might not be comparing equal machines. Does the other machine have the ECS controls? Does it offer the blade tip speed of an Exmark? Although we continue to hear rumors that many of our competitors have the "same blade tips speed as Exmark" or "the blades turn just as fast as an Exmark" this may not always be accurate. Also does the competing unit offer the same quality of cut? Does it mount the "heim" joints at the rear deck pin or the front? If the hem is mounted in the rear like the Exmark then when the front of the decks makes an impact with a tree, pole etc. the rear of the deck will float up. The helps ensure that you reduce the shock load on all components especially the deck. If the heim is mounted in front all of the impact is transmitted to the deck or the pin and over time that may create a failure. Does the competing machine have semi-pneumatic tires, does it have sealed "no maintenance" spindles, does it use a low maintenance manual engagement or does it use an electric PTO? Do they use anti-scalp rollers with 4 height settings or just two?

Based on the differences in the machines you may be able to justify a little extra in price, maybe not. It really comes down to choice. You may want to wait to demo both machines. I believe that once you demo the two machines side by side and see the difference in the cut you'll see why many landscapers prefer the Exmark.

Good luck