Exmark Z HP Problem

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Eagle3Fan, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Eagle3Fan

Eagle3Fan LawnSite Member

Today while mowing I started smelling a burnt rubber smell and soon the mower began to bog down. I throttled down and before I could disengage blades the engine died. Smoke was pouring out from under seat/engine area. Mower won't start now. The starter engages and may turn over one turn but that's it. Any ideas?

Plenty of oil and hydraulic fluid and the drive belt is new...less that 25 hours. I assume the smoke is from a belt spinning on something that was locked up. I have a idea it may be a pump but I hope not. If it is how much to replace?

I winched it up on the trailer to take to the dealer tomorrow. Its a HP 44" with about 540 hours.

Eagle3Fan

2. Eagle3Fan

Eagle3Fan LawnSite Member

Took my mower in yesterday but the Exmark dealer is closed for the week. That's just my luck because I need the mower back ASAP.

I decided to take my mower in to the Toro dealer since the drive system should be similar, if not identical, to the Exmark. They confirmed the problem to be the PTO clutch. It seems the bearings seized. They've ordered another one and should have it fixed up by tomorrow.

I've only had the mower for about 60 hours (540 hours total on the machine) but I always engage and disengage at low RPM's. I suspect such care was not taken by the previous owner. With better care, I hope this clutch will last longer than 540 hours.

$310 parts and labor, is that reasonable?

Eagle3Fan

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Sorry for the delay.

The clutch is in the $200 range. If the dealer went over things pretty good the repair bill probably isn't terrible.

Thanks

Terry