1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

exmark z rider mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bushwacker 268, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Bushwacker 268

Bushwacker 268 LawnSite Member

does anyone know an easier wasy to change the blades in a z rider? If so do tell.
    has anyone had any problems w/ their z riders?
    what are you doing to add to the life of your blades and how often are you changing them?
  2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use a floor jack under the front middle section of the deck. If you don't have a jack, drive the mower up the side of your trailer gate so you can reach under to remove blades.
    I use an air impact wrench.
    Life of blades, don't hit rocks etc. I sharpen daily. The mower averages 5-6 hours of use per day. I use two sets of blades per season.
  3. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I use a digging bar under the front of the deck to raise the unit then slide jack stands under it.
  4. turfmaster90

turfmaster90 LawnSite Member

Buy a Toro. They have a lift stand on the mower. Very easy to use!!
  5. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I use the trailer gate method. I pull it up on the left side and change the left and center blades. Then I pull it up on the right side and change the discharge side blade. I tighten a c-clamp to the baffles to keep the blades from turning and use a 15/16 wrench.
    I have a set of blades for each day of the week and sharpen them all on Saturday or Sunday. When I get back at night I slap a fresh set on all the mowers. I like knowing my blades are always sharp.
  6. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

During the day if I need to change a blade it is the tailgate method. At the shop we drive into the shop and use a chain hoist to lift front end off ground. We have a 3/4" steel bar that we slip under the front caster arms, hook the chain to the center of it and lift away, quick and easy.
  7. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

We do the same thing except we use cordless impact,makes the job go real fast.We change our baldes ever 2 days unless grass is growing then everday theyy will be changed...
  8. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

How using car ramps. Then lift it up onto Jack stands for maxium height. Works well here.I use impact wrench and every 2 days for changing the blades.
  9. MWE

MWE LawnSite Member
    from NC

We use the tail gate method, pull up on the left side, change the middle and left blade from under the deck and the right blade fromt he discharge shoot opening. That way you don't have to move the mower to the right side of the tail gate to get the right blade. We change every day.
  10. keene1bj

keene1bj LawnSite Member

Use a product called "Jungle Jack" to lift the deck in order to change blades. Its kinda hard to explain the tool but it is the easiest and safest way of changing blades on an Exmark