exmark z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Feb 15, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Okay im diving in.With 52 inch lazer z 1996 model.
    What adapter do i need to run double blades.
    I havnt had time to try it yet.But I want the best
    cut I can get naturally.The dealers here dont seem
    to be familar with this.Also where can I get the adapter
    or what ever it takes. INPUT APPRECIATED, TIME TO MOW
    IS CLOSE AT HAND.

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Come on fellas give me a break. I gotta
    start a deck this am an be a pall bearer this after noon.
    65 HOSS. YOU GOT THIS MACHINE WHAT DO I NEED TO
    SET UP FOR DOUBLES.tanks

3. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey AW,
    I don't use any adapter at all.Just set the blades one over the other in an "X".
    It works on my exmark,dixie,and snapper.You may have to get 1/2"longer bolts depending on which spindles you're using.
    Get out the earplugs!

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The only adapter I know of for holding blades in a + position is sold by Dixie Chopper, but it isn't necessary. It has a 5/8" hole in it, so if your bolts are 5/8", it would work. The reason dealers do not know about double blades is probably because they don't come to Lawnsite.com. :mad:

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks much.I s the set up gators top and
    standard on bottom or is there a better
    combo you fellas have found.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry AWM.

I haven't used the double blades on mine yet. Mainly because the small engine shop hasn't got them in yet. I personally think they never ordered them. Anyway, with that machine you will need to only get a longer bolt. Don't know how long exactly, but the thickness of the blade. My metro has only single mulching blades that come with the kit. I don't know if doubles would help it. Might change the airflow to hurt the hiding ability. My encore with doubles has the long bolt that goes all the way thru the spindle. I don't use anything for it. Just cross them and tighten down. The never move.

I found that the high lift on bottom and gator on top. That way the high lift cut the grass off and as it goes upward in the deck the gators are there to shread. Does an awesome job on leaves too.

7. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want to admit anything here as the Exmark guys DO read this board [more credit to them] so I'd have to deny anything they inferred, in case there's ever a warranty problem, BUT, IF, hypothetically, I had a new 60" LazerZ with a 27LC Kawasaki and IF I put a gator mulching blade on top and a Dixie Chopper hi lift blade on bottom using the standard factory bolt torqued to 120 ft-lbs I'd probably be able to report that:

Cut was perfect. Grass was side discharged with no clumps;

Engaged blade at low idle then revved to full, listening carefully for vibration, odd noise, etc., heard none;

Blades were in same position [no bracket, factory bolt] as when started, after cutting two acres;

Didn't seem to be excessively loud as some have reported, but I really do need to start wearing protection all the time like I did on previous mower--this one is so quiet I forget [theoretically of course] to put headphones on.

The standard Exmark 60" blade "screw" as they call it in the parts manual [I've always called them bolts if they were for metal and screw if for wood] is 5/8-11 x 2 3/4 grade 8.

Remember this is all theoretical except for the parts reference, BUT it might work for you!
    Good luck and remember to follow all directions in your owners manual. Will

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

AWM:
    You started another thread and asked if both blades have to be the same weight and asked me to answer here. I will delete the other thread then.

No, the blades can be different weights as long as each one is balanced correctly, you will be fine. Some like the high lift on the bottom, some like it on top. Try different ways and see what works best for you. I personally run the Gator on the bottom of my old Chopper and a Mulcher on the bottom of the new one. I have found this works best for me. Each deck is different.

9. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

Remember when you do this the blades will be lower so your 3-1/2" setting may now be 3-1/4". So if you use to be able to go over the edge of a sidewalk you may now hit it. This will only take once and you will remember that spot.:) Hypothetically speaking anyway.

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

shows me again why this forum is so important.
    On each question it would have been try it
    an see.Instead we have access to successful
    pros.I read in some post that we would soon be seeing
    an address for contributions. So soon as I
    see it Ill do my part.I know its probably (the address)
    already there somewhere but i guess you better
    get marty j to hit me again with it.