exmark ztr problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bobcatnj, Sep 10, 2006.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

on my exmark 52 in ztr the fuel gauge on the gas tank jumps all over the place. the tank is full but the gauge is reading empty then it goes to full, then half, then empty. it keeps going back and forth and sometimes stays in that spot. also the mower stalls out sometimes. i was mowing a lawn and it started to stall, if i dis engage the steering arms like it is in a parked position it starts back up and doesnt stall. whats going on?

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

what engine do you have? I don't quite understand about your stalling? Does the engine stop or just stalls some? After you start it up again how long before it stalls and or dies?

3. bobcatnj

i have the 23 hp kawi. if i leave the steering arms in forward the machine will stall. but when i hear it start to stall i put the arms in park position and it powers back up.maybe after 30 min on the machine it happens but it doesnt happen all the time

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

When the unit stalls can you grab the key and start it right back up ?

5. bobcatnj

yes it starts back up

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This is a tough one but gonna throw this out there.
    I have seen units with this type complaint, I found trash in the carb. float bowl and clean the carb. out and the problem went away. The only thing I could figure is the unit was bouncing around and a piece of trash covered the main jet shutting the engine down. With the engine off the suction on the main jet stopped and the trash came loose until bounced around again and repeating the process.

May be something to check into.