Exmark ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steeley, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Steeley

Steeley LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have a exmark 60" liquid cooled with 145hrs on it I have two questions,first question is the mule belt that is under the mower comes off at least once a day if I go over the write bump off it go's, is there something wrong or does this happen with exmark, second question I have been having hydraulic hose problems the dealer has changed them twice and today same problem going up a slight incline and the mower does not want to go up the hill, you have to fight the steering the whole time, they keep changing the hoses because one will start to leak but I think there must be something else. Also the mower when cool will do fine on hills but after being used for a hour the mower heats up and it starts acting up.

Any help would be great

2. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

you must have a bad belt. We run 6 exmarks just like yours and the only time we have problems with the belt is if a gum ball or stick gets up in the belt and causes it to jump off. Might as well change it right then and there, it will keep jumping off. Although, if it only happens when you hit a bump, your deck may be moving on you, check the rear stabllizers and see if one is loose, allowing deck to come back when you hit a bump. Also look at all three pulleys for damage.
    If hose is loose or bad and air gets in system will give you all kinds of problems with drive and steering. They may need to change fitting on pump or drive motor to get it to stop leaking.

4 years ago when we bought a new mower, liquid cooled 25hp, 60" deck had probelms with the mower each time we used it in a cemetery. After it got hot, you couldn't hardly get it to go in and out between stones, only wanted to run in a straight line, very hard to steer. Dealer had it 3 times, always sent it back and said it was fixed, next time in cemetery, same problem. They had it for 3 weeks last time (always supplied us with a brand new loaner when they had it) and said it was fixed, the distributor in St. Louis had worked on it. So next time in cemetery, same BS. Called dealer, he called Distibutor, they all met in cemetery. We had 3 mowers going, I gave them one to try, their mechanic used it, after watching what we were trying to do with it, he mowed 5 minutes and said it works just fine. Then I had my sone bring over the once in question, he got on it, went 50 feet and shut it off. He and distributor got heads together, whispered, pointed, had to agree it didn't work worth a dam. Turns out, everytime someone tried it, they only drove in straight lines, even though i had described the problem over and over. They took it with them, ended up replacing both pumps and one drive motor, all under warranty. Next year, new mower, same problem, they took it back and replaced both pumps right away, still running fine. Seems they had a bunch of bad pumps from manufacturer. The dealer was super about all of it, I never went a day without a machine, usually a new machine to use for a loaner.
    STay on the dealer and get with Exmark here on Lawnsite about the problem also, they will do all they can to get the dealer to resolve it, or stay on his butt hard about it.Good luck

3. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

I have had the problem a couple times with that mule belt, when going up curbs with the blades running... or down them too. No one told me not to do that when I bought it! LOL
    No problems ever since. But I carry a spare belt in the truck now, just in case...

4. Steeley

Steeley LawnSite Member
    from Maine

thanks for the replys, I think the belt comes usually when I go over a bump and the bump is in the center of the mower.

It sounds to me that it might need two new pumps, the dealer is pretty good about giving me a loaner they gave me a 52" Lazer a couple of days ago, and now they gave me a used scag cougar, piece of crap, belt come off before I even stared mowing and then after Im mowing the machine decides it don't want to run any more, so I had to load it on the trailer with a John Deere 737. I didn't even get one lawn out of it and of course its Sunday and the dealer is not open.

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I had never had a problem with that belt coming off. The belt that controls the blades started coming off because of a worn out pulley. Something must be out of line or loose on yours. Could be a bad tension arm. I grease the belt tension arms daily.

6. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

is your mule belt tensioned correctly? in the back behind the engine when your looking at the 2 lower pulleys below the crankshaft, the left pulley should be centered in the little hole in the frame. If the pulley is to low or too high, you wont have the right tension on the belt. if you havent touched this pulley yet, it is most likely the problem as the belt is going to stretch. To move the left pulley, loosen the right one, then loosen the left and position it and then re tighten the right pulley.

the belts are usually a warranty item for the first 90 days, so they should replace it no charge if its defective.

as for the pumps or hoses they should replace them if they are a continued problem...the only problem i have with dealers is sometimes they are too lazy to make a call to the distributor or exmark to have an item warrantied. with a 145 hrs it sounds like you would be under 1 year old, so parts and labor are covered. i have 18 - 2003 lazers and have had one leaky hose after one year in service. my machines are around 800 hrs for an average.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

All great posts,...and I think they have pretty much summed it up, here. Bam had mentioned the first thing that came to MY mind, as these belt DO have to be readjusted shortly after break-in. Steve gave a world of info on it, also. Frankly, I hope it's something simple like the belt. Mine did the same thing before it was readjusted. A guy from Exmark was willing to walk me through the adjustment over the phone. Also, it sounds like you have a decent dealer going for you, so let's count that as a blessing. Good luck with it, and let us know the end result (actually, just keep us posted).