exmark ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by s and s mowing, Dec 17, 2005.

1. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

went to napa today with my hydro filter number,and they said it crossed to a napa gold 51374,and i didnt mention exmark and guy said it was a hydro filter for a exmark lawnmower.heck i bought it for 4.50,it is a wix,anybody see a reason for not using it.i know wix and napa filters are top notch.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure it is a 40 micron...

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Ditto what was said above. Sometimes if you cut a filter in half you can see the difference too. Is this machine under warrenty? If it is I would stick to the stock Exmark filters until its up. really your not saving that much by buying napa filters.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

exmark hydro systems use a 10 micron filter.

this is copied from the faqs page at exmark's website.

It is not absolutely necessary that an Exmark hydro filter be used, but it is advisable. The most important thing to understand is that you need a 10-micron hydraulic filter. While many filters appear to be identical externally, itÂ’s what's inside that counts!! Most engine oil filters are 50-micron pressure filters, and a hydro filter is a 10-micron suction filter. The pistons in the hydraulic pump have a 40-micron tolerance, which means that if a 50-micron filter were used, contaminants would flow unrestricted through the filter and wear out the pump much more quickly. The key, whether it is our filter or someone else's, is that it be a 10-micron hydraulic filter.

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Good advice,and thread also.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Good post there TC... a true one also.

As far as using a non-OEM filter... do you really think the OEM's make their own?
    In a word, NO.

As for WIX filters, they are quality stuff. Does this mean without question their filters are OK to use? NO! You must use a hydralic filter rated to the correct micron filtration that ALSO is rated inside the proper range for gallons per minute flow.

That being said, it's best to see if you can first figure out who manufactures the filters for eXmark... then get the specs for that filter and match up to get an equal or better filter.

Personally, I like WIX and LENZ hydro filters. Honestly, the LENZ is likely a better filter because they are specialized in hydro stuff. At the same micron filtration, they can still out-flow WIX. But WIX is sooo simple for me to get that I replaced a LENZ with a WIX a while back.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I stand corrected, 10 micron it is. I agree though, good thread.

8. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

guy at napa said filter met,or exceeded exmark specs.now i support my dealer,but i think imo that exmark is saying(use my filter only) and then pricing them to make people think they are special.as for me i believe wix is a great. product and this filter is going on my mowers and we shall see.also,for you amsoil gurus,have you noticed amsoil is now selling wix filters,humm,i thought the dixie and amsoil where best thing since sliced bread.also been doing a little motor oil research and when the test numbers are compared all this oil(synthetic) stuff is blown way out.just cause you spent more dont mean you get more.just cause you spent 5.00 dollars a quart on amsoil or mobil,according to test you would have had just as good as oil with havoline or chevron and had about 3.00 dollars in your pocket.a dollar saved is a dollar earned.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Wise post.... does sound like you have figured quite a bit out.

Do grit your teeth though and pay $5+ a quart for the Mobil 1 15w50 to go back in the eXmark hydros. Their system needs it and I wouldn't substitute. Remember this is a low capacity system without any cooling. So that oil is going to see a lot of very hot cycles through the system. So I'd spend the $15 on the oil, and that way it's eXmark's bag if it fails.

10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If the guy said it met Exmark specs then it should be fine. Same quality filter for less money. Can't beat that but like Envy said you are better off running the mobil 1 on the hydro system but I think its a waste of money to run in the engine.