Exmark ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Jan 25, 2004.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Im looking at the 48" hydro viking Wb from exmark becuase its cheaper then the floating deck TT. Im worried about scalping when I turn on hills. Any comments are appreciated.

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have a fixed deck mower at the present time, but when I first started I had a byers gold fixed deck 48 inch mower. As I recall I did not have any problems with scalping, but you have to approach hills, berms, ditches the right way or it would have. It should have anti scalp rollers on it and they will help if adjusted right. I believe the wider in the deck you go the more it has a tendency to scalp, but the 48 inch would be ok.
    Like I said I have not had a fixed deck for years now.

3. SharpCutLC

SharpCutLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

If you could afford the floating deck, get it!! because it will save you in the long run when adjusting the deck on the job site.

4. Premo Services

I agree the floating deck is the way to go, but if you are just aquiring customers and budget is limited, a floating is not that bad. I used mine for 4 years and did not have any problems with it.

5. grassyfras

Thanks for your replies guys. I forgot to mention I currently run a 36" exmark floating deck. I dont change the height alot but maybe once a week for a lawn or two. So I'm still not sure if its worth it.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a scag with a fixed deck, it is ok on a nice flat or level lot or gentle slope, but alot of my work is in the country where all they did is sow grass on what was there. I have a toro with a floating deck and it works really nice on un even surfaces , hope this helps

7. Premo Services

That was my point, its not like you will be changing the deck height on every job. I set mine at in the spring and never change the setting until the late fall. But this year, I just lowered it a half an inch.

8. grassyfras

How do you think it would do on turning on hills. My friend has an exmark metro (fixed) 36" and he says it scalps on hills but no where else. I hate to shell out a grand for a floating deck but if i scalp on hills...

9. Premo Services

I still think that it is on how you approach the hill, ditch or whatever.
    Mabey you could wait and get a demo when you are cutting, then you will see how the fixed deck would cut, and if it would be worth the extra money for the floating deck. I think it is always a good idea to demo mowers before purchasing them anyway.

10. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 exmark viking 48s. I love them. I have never had problems scalping, they fit in the trailer back to back nicely. I originally bought them because they were cheaper than the floating deck model. I haven't regretted it once.