Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The landscaper, Nov 5, 2004.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at a used 52" rider. I think it around a 98 or 99, the hour meter doesnt work on it. It has a 25hp kaw on, everything looks pretty solid on it. what would you guys pay for something like that?

2. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i woundt buy it if the guy is a landscaper. No offense, but we run our machines much harder and longer than anyone else. Who knows why the hour meter is broken. Does the meter show anything? what number is it stuck on?

I got a '03 44" Lazer HP from a residental customer for $4200. For a 5 year old mower....i'd probably pay $2,000, even that is too much.. But that's me.

Lastly, ask him to take it to the dealer and ask them to appraise it as if you are thinking about exchanging it for a bigger one. Tell them it's yours, or just be honest and ask them how much you should pay to the guy.

Good luck.

3. The landscaper

I think the meter is stuck on 200 or so. It was used by fords grounds crew.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I called an Exmark dealer outside of Pittsburgh today for a JRCO leaf plow. I started talking to the guy and he told me they were ready to rotate their fleet for their lawn sevice. He asked me if I'd be interested in a 2001 Exmark 25/60" Kohler with 3000 hours!! I don't care if it's been serviced religiously every time it was out in the field or not, that's some serious time on the meter for 4 summers. He said the engine had never been down or out, either. When he calls back with a price, I'll let you all know what they want for it.

5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Get all the info on it that you can and call your local Exmark dealer. They can tell you what it is worth.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If it looks to be in good shape after a thorough check and it cuts well and runs well I might go $1500 for it.
    Why only $1500?
    Because there are probably a LOT of hours on it........but no one knows now do they?
    You are buying an unknown quantity...........

7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I agree, you don't know how much or how hard that machine has been used and if regular maintenance has been performed on the machine so I personally wouldn't give over $1500 for it.

8. The landscaper

Do they put a 25 kaw on the 52's? I was thinking that was alittle big, for being a few years old. I was thinking that the motor has been replaced with the last summer or 2.

What would be a good way to test the hydros out?

Anything else major I need to look for off the bat.

I have a couple older dixons and 3 or 4 wbs but havent dealt with exmark before

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Is this a full size lazer or a lazer HP?
    I think they put some 25 horse motors on a while back but I could be mistaken................
    It could very well be a replacement.
    Checking the hydros? Do some hills with it, check for responsiveness.............
    Check the spindles for play, listen to them with the blades running for noise in the bearings, Look at the hydro oil to see if it is burnt at all,(it could have been replaced, But....)
    Check for an even cut........(looking for bent deck, etc.)
    Is the oil clean? Dirty oil while selling may indicate poor maintenance)
    Look at it as if you were buying a car..............

10. The landscaper

I am not even sure what the differnece is the full size and hp. Didnt know there was different sizes.

The guy was going to put on ebay for 1500, he was hoping to get around 2 for it. I was hoping to get him down closer to 1500.