Exmark's ultracut rear-discharge deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rkb8000, Oct 17, 2013.

1. rkb8000

rkb8000 LawnSite Member

Any thoughts on EXMARKS REAR DISCHARGE DECK? ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

2. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Bump.... I have been interested in this as well.... We all know how good the ultra cut SD is... This has to be good as well right?

3. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lazer ds with the rear discharge deck we have been demoing I will put a write up tomorrow. So far were really impressed with it
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. rkb8000

rkb8000 LawnSite Member

GQLL - I would definitely appreciate you sharing your thoughts regarding your demo experience with the rear discharge deck and would also appreciate your feedback on the diesel mower as well. My only concern would be high grass in the spring time or just high grass in general. Wondering if it would still disperse clippings properly and what if you do want to bag is that an option?:)

5. BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99 LawnSite Senior Member

What type of lawn is this going to be used for? I have seen a rear discharge deck (Hustler) in action over the past 3 years and it does indeed make the cutting easier because the discharge area is 2 to 3 times as big as a side discharge. BUT... and this is the most clarifying aspect of the rear discharge deck, it does NOT cut up the clippings well enough at all. I used to want one shortly after I saw it and I talked to a Hustler dealer. I started noticing what the dealer was talking about with the clippings. For a residential lawn or a business where image is important, it would do no good, you'd have clippings laying all over the place.

What kind of cutting are you getting this for? Large fields only?

6. rkb8000

rkb8000 LawnSite Member

Mostly residential lawns and a small percentage would be larger commercial properties. You addressed my concerns with clippings not being properly dispersed and I am assuming that bagging is not an option with the rear discharge deck. Most properties in NJ need to be bagged IMHO, due to wet spring growing season and the need to clean-up leaves from October - December.

7. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

We demo'd one at our dealer's demo day back in the spring. I think the rear discharge would be great on large area commercial properties, cemeteries, municipals that don't really care about the looks as much. I don't know about others but I could definitely tell a difference in cut after appearance with the clippings on the rear vs. being blown out the side. I wouldn't use it on residential lawns that care about that "exmark" cut.

This was on a 60" DS too. It's a beast of a mower.

8. BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about the bagging option but most likely thinking about only the logistic nightmare of a bagging option on a rear discharge, with the deck being entirely under the machine... yes, I would say there is no option for putting on a bagging rig. :( Sorry to bear bad news.