ExmarkTTHP52

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SJR Lawncare, Nov 12, 2003.

1. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I need opinions on the Exmark 52"Walkbehind TTHP with elec. start. I have the oppurnity to purchase this new for $4990.00 Please let me have your opinions before I decide by tomorrow. How is the cut, scalping problems, ease of use...etc.
    Thanks alot guys.

Steve

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Why TTHP? You should get Turf Tracer with 23 Kawi on it, with additional $1300 added you got a real Lazer WB. The TTHP with 17hp Kawi on 52" deck is very much underpowered and equipped with mechanical blade engagement with blade brake, but the TT 52/23 is built with 200ft. lb electromagnatic clutch the stuff used in all Lazers, big different on PTO. With 23 Kawi it it the machine besides having ultracut deck and bigger tires.
    Now bring hills or slopes on!

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

MTR, Sir, with all due respect, you don’t honestly know what you are talking about.

Steve,
    I have a TTHP 52” 17hp twin Kaw rope start. I have nothing bad to say at all about it. I upgraded to it from an older Scag 52 hydro w/b and it was like night and day. The eXmark is so much more efficient for me (using sulky on both) it’s faster, cuts smoother and discharges so much better that it allows you to mow faster and not have to double cut because it throws clippings farther and wider so it does not clump or anything. The 17hp has been plenty of power for me and I am currently running double blades and mulching leaves with the OCDC (I built) shut, this is very hard on any engine and yes the 17hp does lug doing this and yes a larger engine would be terrific but for mowing grass and light to medium leaf grinding the 17hp is plenty in my experience. This unit doesn’t scalp at all if the deck wheels are set properly as they should be. I built a “striping roller” but not for striping so much as to be able to mow berms with it with no scalping. It works great and really enhances the striping too (the eXmark does great striping straight from the factory BTW). Ease of use couldn’t be better, I have the pistol grips and it’s much smoother than the old Scag and a lot easier to squeeze the grips too. My hands don’t hurt on the larger yards anymore.
    Also, the manual blade clutch I consider to be an asset. Electric clutches are not an advantage by any means IMO. They are very costly and although they last a long time if used properly, it is a well known and proven fact that running double blades and/or engaging at full throttle will shorten it’s life considerably. Now I would definitely buy a machine with electric PTO if that’s what it came with, but I wouldn’t buy a machine just for that reason. The manual clutches are indestructible and last forever, can run double blades all day long, etc. It’s not a buying factor for me too much, but don’t believe all that crud about electric PTO’s being superior.
    Yes the full size Turf Tracer would be awesome and if you can afford it go for it, but if you can only afford the TTHP I would buy it and not look back ever. If I had found as good of a deal on a TT as I got on my TTHP I would have snatched it up in a heartbeat but I didn’t and I think I got a super sweet deal at $2,000 (used) With the accessories I have on it (spent around $100 on them) if I had bought them all new factory built the whole setup might cost around $6,000 so for 1/3 price I got a great machine that will last forever and has served me well with no downtime (except a small piece of the starter mechanism which is Kawi not eXmark remember). The Kawi 17 has been great. I had a 14 Kawi on the Scag and it was great also. I would definitely buy another Kawi and definitely buy another eXmark if I needed another machine. All my local LCO friends have tried the eXmark (they run Scag w/b’s) and fell in love with it. You can’t go wrong. I say if you can’t afford the full size TT then go for the TTHP and you WILL be very happy with it I promise! I don’t really think MTR owns a TTHP52/17 so who would you sooner listen to, someone who has owned one for months or someone who does not own one at all? I don’t mean any disrespect but IMO if someone has little to no hands on experience with a machine and has nothing in it’s class to compare to then they have no business talking about it at all.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather have a TT but I have no complaint with the TTHP and for the money it's a real winner. The TT would not make me any more money except for the .5mph speed difference or if I was mulching heavy leaves on a regular basis (which I do not).

4. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks alot MTR & Frankenscag, I appreciate your views, especially Frankenscags very informative review.

Steve

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

TT 52 23.

745resized.jpg

6. John Gamba

from ct

ECS

ecs500res.jpg

7. MTR

from Florida

I have not said TTHP 52" is bad, it is basically an opinion and observation, who want to own a 52 deck with 17hp? How long? Not me if I have dollars to spend. You know you hunger for that 23 hp every morning. If someone has money to buy, opinion is to get the biggest engine. That is all.
    Did I say Frankenscag's TTHP is bad? Not at all. You should not be offended. All eXmark is great but 23hp makes you drool.
    End of game.
    regards,

8. John Gamba

from ct

ITS OFFICIAL!!!!!!! Exmark will make a striping roller for the TURF TRACER 52 And 60" For next year. I think that means 04.
    Here is your 23 Kohler.
    John

748-300.jpg

9. MTR

from Florida

John Gamba, thanks for your beautiful TT52 pictures, now you even make me itching more for that machine. I am really torn, to say, between my future upgrades, one mind is thinking about Lazer HP 52/23 kawi and another mind about this TT52/23 kawi. Since you have both lazer and TT, would you mind sharing experience on both machines? Most of my accounts are with hill/high slope in backyards which I "must" carry my 36" Metro all the time if I choose Lazer cause there is no way the lazer can hold on to those hills. This leaves me with TT52/bullrider to do it all without carrying another mower on trailer and it is cheaper than lazer, and I am used to this setup WB/sulky since I started out with 36"Metro/jungle wheels to run all accounts.
    Well, what is your input? please fire away.

Thank you very much.

10. John Gamba

from ct

If i were you i would go TT52 and look into the PROSLIDE at novea or novae.com.
    You are also getting the ULTRACUT deck on the TT but not on the LHP (Maybe on LHP in 2004?) Its the big lazer's deck.
    You can also get the accelerator bagger and the jrcoinc.com Transporter tray And tub. It all depends on what bagger you get BUT you can have upwards of 18 Bushles on board of the TT.
    Next spring i will dress up a 04 TT 60" so you can see it done. The next thing you can do is get the ezchute.com OCDC for when you let the grass fly.
    John

green house resized.jpg