Expand under current name or start another company?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by KrayzKajun, Nov 30, 2012.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I never thought 8 years ago that by the time i was 28, i would own/run a successful landscape company and be starting a second company.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. KrayzKajun

Well as of yesterday my goal of starting a sandbagging & flood/erosion protection company is becoming a reality. Kajun Flood Workz, llc is becoming a reality instead of just a though and idea. Working on a full marketing plan for municipal/parish & state/federal govts. Scheduled to take the louisiana business law, Heavy Construction & Earth Moving/Levee exams.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

congrats. Opening a second company like you did was the right choice, I plan to open a tree service in a year or so, once the landscaping takes off. then once that takes off I plan on opening a rental company and buying two family house and renting them out.

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Different name. dBA type of thing. I do this but in the end it all slides into our corp. account.

5. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you have a solid plan. Will you mostly be responding to national emergency situations that require travel? If so, do you have someone left behind to run your landscaping business or will you send someone out to perform the flood work?

6. KrayzKajun

For now will be staying local. Eventually would like to to cover the Gulf South.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Congratulations. Good idea to be a separate company too. I suspect insurance cost and such will be better managed this way.

8. Country Club Lawnscapes

Country Club Lawnscapes LawnSite Member

Congrats Krazycajun

9. M & L

M & L LawnSite Senior Member

The way my accountant explained it to me was

It is better to have multiple co's. That way if god forbid something bad happens, it will only affect that company-not the household and other companies. That being said I was told a good ambulance chaser will still try to go after everything anyway.

Good luck and good idea down there in the hurricane zone

Mike.

10. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Totally keep it separate that way assets are separate and protected if one firm has an issue also allows you to move funds