Expanded Metal Leaf Box?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BASIC, Mar 29, 2004.

1. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

Hi guys,I was thinking about building an expanded metal leaf box for my 99 Ford F-350 pickup.Yesterday I saw just what I wanted on another truck but was unable to get to the truck/driver to ask questions.Does someone make these commercially?If it's not made,does anone have any ideas on a good design?Thanks for any help you might give me,BASIC.

2. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

I went to Blancher Canvas on Rte 28 in Dunellen to get my dump trailer done. Granted, it isn't a metal box, it's heavy duty mesh netting. But they custom make a frame for the body then custom make a tarp with grommets and tie downs all over it. They even custom made the opening where we will hang our debris loader. Darn thing holds near 15 cubic yards now.

Some benefits...

Lightweight, built of aluminum polls and a mesh tarp so adds only ~100#'s in weight. Easily broken down/installed, just a matter of attaching aluminum poles (without tools) and throwing tarp over aluminum. Then, attach with tie-downs to trailer body. Can dump the trailer without removing canvas top because back has a flap. IMO, it was well worth the cost of $525 considering what I would have spent on metal or wood and the cost of converting the trailer from debris loader to material hauler.

Don't know if it will help you but I figured I'd chime in.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Why would you want the weight and cost of an expanded metal box, rather then lighter and cheaper wood?

Also, are you taking whole leaves, or shredded leaves (whether by a mower, or truck loader)?.
    I ask because shredded leaves will be flying all over the place through the expanded metal when you're driving down the road.
    And if you're loading the box with a truck loader, it's going to blow out all over the place when loading!.

I use a wooden box with a fine mesh tarp on top for ventilation. Even with the fine mesh tarp, I still get some dust blowing out while I'm driving down the road.

4. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

Thankyou both for your response.Sir,it would be used for whole leaves and grass clippings.I don't have a leaf loader.Thankyou,BASIC.

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Basic I think I know the guy your talking about I've seen him before, I think he fabricated that himself. You should look into the tow behind vacs.

6. Kgrebs

Kgrebs LawnSite Member

Can you guys post some pictures of your set-ups?