Expanded metal or wood floor?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CuttinUP, Feb 6, 2008.

?

Do you like expanded metal or wood floor on a trailer for mowers?

Poll closed Mar 7, 2008.
  1. Expanded Metal

9.4%
  2. Treated Lumber

87.5%
  3. Other

3.1%
  1. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

Do you like a trailer with expanded metal or wood floor for ZTR, Walk behind mowers? Why?

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Expanded metal is nice, but if you get a thick enough gauge, it may weigh more than wood.

3. tb8100

from TX

It also costs a small fortune.

4. Danscapes

Danscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Its cheap, I just bought a 4'X8' sheet of expanded metal for $54. I dont personally have a flat trailer, I have a dump trailer, but I think it would be nice to be able to wash the grass right through the floor when it needs it. And how many hillbilly trailer do you see with warped lumber bouncing around on the road? The only thing I would see being a problem with expanded metal is bracing under your mowers.

5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I love having treated wood on for the deck in my trailer. You can screw all kinds of stuff into it and then remove it and move stuff around and if a board rots out, its a simple cheap change out of one board not an entire deck for the expanded metal.

I don't see how expanded holds up to the daily beating of lawn service.

6. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer wood, I think its stronger than expanded metal for a floor.

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

with the metal...its slicker and plus you couldnt haul a load of mulch on it either

wayne

8. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I have the metal floor on my current trailer (5X13) and the metal keeps breaking at the welds just at one place where the sheet ends and another sheet meet. I am going to order a larger trailer this spring like a 6.4 X 13 and I am thinking Treated lumber. It sounds like most people like it better.

9. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

I would hate to have expanded metal on a entire floor. I had to reweld my split gate because of how weak it is and how easily it tears. I'd rather have a wood floor.

10. tb8100

from TX

What gauge was that? You'd need at least 7 gauge for it to be nice and strong.