Expanding 2005 and need Truck

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scraper69, Feb 7, 2005.

1. scraper69

scraper69 LawnSite Senior Member
    from mi

Thinkin of expanding a current 3 man crew that does 3 days of lawn and 3 days of landscape. to 2 crews with 2 men ea. one does lawns and one does landsc. Have a 3 yd -would use for mainly lawn crew. thinkin of buying a 6yd Kodiak6500 or F650 ^=6yd for landscape end. What are your views on the expansion as well as type of truck for the job? thanks

2. ToroMaster

ToroMaster LawnSite Member
    from Neenah

you should give more info. What kind of landscaping do you do the most of? Why does your lawn crew need anything more than a regular cab 3/4 ton? Those kodiaks will set you back alot of cash. You should look at other ways to spend that 40 grand

3. scraper69

from mi

Well we do everything landscape. Pavers, walls, sod, irrig, concrete(some), plantings and so on. The reason the lawn crew would us a 3yd dump is because that is what i currently own. And besides, its much easier to use a dump truck for lawn maint, raking the grass out of a p/u is a pita. Thus i need a truck for landscape work. 6yd because in the past we use my 3yd and make too many trips,since it is limited in its trucking capacity. I have thought about ezdump trailers, although not too fond. I have been contemplating this expansion for some time, because as you may or may not know. you can only make $XX with 3 men. all on one crew, trying to do everthing. I think its more efficient, provided the work is there, to split up.and have 2men/crew, doing different work. *plus im gettin tierd of doin lawns. My foreman can handle that

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that having two separate crews is a good idea. It will allow each crew to be specialized and perform what they do best. As for a truck I would get a Chevy or GMC Kodiak 4500 or maybe 5500. What will you be using this truck to haul? If most of your suppliers will deliver your stone, sod, etc. you will not need a large truck a 4500 would be just right. Will you be towing a skid steer (if so what size)? These question will help determine what size truck you need.

5. scraper69

from mi

yes deliveries can be brought by supplier. but haul away still need to get done

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are not needing to pull a heavy trailer, then I'd look pretty hard at a cabover. The Isuzu's have pretty much dominated the market, and used ones in decent shape for little money are hard to find. You can get a longer bed on a shorter wheelbase than you can on a normal truck chassis/cab. The N-series Isuzu's (medium duty) have GVWR around 20k, so they are comparable to the F-450/550. The only downfall that I've been able to find is they don't have much for towing capacity when full. With the heaviest Isuzu/Chevy/GMC cabover (they are all the same truck), you have a payload capacity that is a couple of tons more than with the same GVWR Ford/Chevy.

Just a little food for thought. We're looking into them, but the towing ability is a major concern.

Dan

7. scraper69

from mi

yes need to pull a trailer with skid steer. i thought about those cabovers, but no towing capability(weak). I like the c6500 . tough and can do the work of 2 three yard dumps. Plus we do a few concrete break outs/haul every month.

8. scraper69

from mi

getting more confused, each thread?????

9. scraper69

from mi

??????where to start????

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

First, quit wasting time on Lawnsite with useless replies to nothing. Start going to your dealers and comparing specs and prices. Sit in the trucks, drive the trucks, look them over. Not too hard to figure this one out.

Just like everything else, people will have their preferences on which one they like.