Expanding business to Florida

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CCLC INC., Jul 15, 2008.

1. CCLC INC.

CCLC INC. LawnSite Member

My business is located in Maryland. I am planning to move to Florida. About 20 miles from Orlando. I want to build my business in Florida. Could a Florida business own please help with some ideas? How things are done? How many months do you really cut? How are your accounts handled?

Thanks

2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Year round accounts usually 42 cut per year most newer homes are usually under 5000. Cuts in some places are as low as 50 per month.... yeap 50 buck to 60 bucks a month. Its a big difference. Oh and by the way its a requirement that most residents own a truck and trailer with lawn equipment. The best part its very easy to get accounts.

3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

ya i learned that real fast, moving from ohio..totally different here, i couldn't believe the pricing either... but being here for two years now..things are going good...just bust you a$$ and do a good job is the way i look at it!:dancing:

4. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

Billslawn 89, are you able to take on a few new customers? I have a few in North Port but have been to busy to service them. PM me if interested.

5. DISTURBEDSMR

DISTURBEDSMR LawnSite Member

I work in Orlando and the competition is very tough here with alot of lawn companies. Any questions email me I know you can't pm yet

6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

my general rule for me is winter 1-2 cuts(more if they fert alot and water) and summer 4-5 for weekly year rounds

7. Capital sn0maN

Capital sn0maN LawnSite Member
    from SW FL

I am in SWFL, cuts in the summer HAVE to be done every week. A lot of associations, will fine homeowners if their lawn becomes an eye sore, so getting in with a couple of these will be GOLD. I try to stick to somewhere around 36 cpy. But I am still a n00b.

8. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Every 3rd Floridian has a truck with a mower in the back. Its the law down here.

9. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

I live 25 miles north of Orlando and this year it's tough! Foreclosures all over the place, no new construction and EVERYBODY is now doing lawncare! Last year I was turning jobs down. This year the phone doesn't ring. On top of that, the price of Gas is causing many Homeowners to go with the "Cheapest Price". Alot of 2 and 3 man Crews are now 1 man Crews. It is not going well in this area at all!!!

10. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Everything is going fine for me down here. The business aspect isn't terribly different, you just have to target the right neighborhoods, get used to slightly lower pricing, and monthly (not per cut) billing. The lowballer LCOs usually only work in a certain neighborhood, stay out of those areas and you'll be fine.

The actual cutting aspect of the business is very different from up north. A whole lot of houses have gates, usually a 36" or 42" gate, so you'll need a small mower. Down here, we don't run the big 72"s, and 60"s unless you're doing commercial lots. The biggest mower most crews run is a 52". Yards aren't that big, I don't have anything bigger than 3/4s of an acre and I'm still making a nice profit. Lastly, using a stick edger is almost mandatory down here. You won't be sorry.