Expanding Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dgZtrak737, Aug 22, 2007.

1. dgZtrak737

dgZtrak737 LawnSite Member

Hello
    I am new to lawnsite, and have read some valueable information on here. I have a lawn service part time and I work full time. I CANT, and i must stress CANT quit my job. The benifits are to good. State Retirement, Free Insurance, Steady pay check. I currently have 9 accounts residential, and commercial. It keeps me busy. I operate solo. One Mower, One Trimmer, One Edger, One Blower. I do it all. I want to expand, but how? How much money (gross) would you have to be making before you started a crew. Is it even a good idea, or would it be more of a headace than its worth. I need some advice from some of you big guys.

2. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I recommend if you have a steady paying job with benies. To spend some time with your family especially your kids. Wants the time is gone you can't rewind it.

I really have never understood why people want are always trying to come up with a new way to work after they get off after their regular job especially if they never plan on taking it full time.

Thats my .02 cents ignore them like we all know you will.

3. dgZtrak737

Wow
    That Seemed Kinda Like A Smart Response, I Figured I Would Get Something Like That Me Being Part Time.

4. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

dgZtrak737 -I also work a full-time job during the day. I have a couple part-time employees that help me get my lawns done. Had a couple full-time (seasonal) employees, but one didn't want to work any more and the other left a couple months ago to work in a factory. With the accounts that I have it has been difficult to keep up, but we are managing so far.
    If you are going to hire employees, you need to make sure to spend LOTS of time with them so they know what your expectations are. I am working with my newest employee every chance we get, to make sure that she understands what my requirements are for lawn care at each property. I will not send a person out unless they are comfortable on their own and I have worked with them on these properties so they know what my requirements are for each lawn. I am very picky/detailed in the work I do and my customers appreciate that. Don't think that hiring employees will be easy, it takes a great deal of time to get someone up to speed and ready to work on their own.

5. dgZtrak737

Thanks for that usefull info. I agree it would be difficult and costly to train a operator, and get someone comfortable on the machine. I am very very picky about my equipment and the care of it. How much (if you dont mind me asking) do you pay your employee. How about workmans comp. How many hours do they get

Thanks

6. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

I know what you mean about being picky about the equipment and care for it. I expect my equipment to be taken care of like it will be in a show room at the end of the day. PM me to discuss this further.