Expanding Business??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by zurfsturfcare, Aug 30, 2007.

1. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, I have owned my mowing business for 4 years and have always run it by myself with a lil help from friends when i'm really busy. I now have another full time job but still wanna keep the mowing business. Could you guys help me out with what i need to do/consider for hiring ppl to work for me? Such as workers comp and things like that, i'm not sure where to get started. Thanks

2. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

Personally I think you should pick which job you really want. If you want to hire someone to mow for you instead of with you, your going to regret it when the phone calls come and you can't deal with it in a timely manner due to your full time job.

3. zurfsturfcare

maybe i should explain a lil better, I am a full time firefighter, we work 24 hours on and 48 off. So im off 2 out of every 3 days. Anyone with actual tips?

4. dgZtrak737

dgZtrak737 LawnSite Member

I had that exact same question about two weeks ago, I couldnt get any answers from anyone, I got one smart a** answer, that was about it. I am Mabey you will have better luck than me

5. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

Your insurance agent should be able to help you with that. Business, vehicle, workmans comp. You are insured aren't you?

6. dgZtrak737

Of course. I sure would hate to hit a $5000.00 front glass door with a rock without it. (one of my friends did that) opps. I learned from his mistake

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Try to hire someone who has been in this line of work for awhile, someone who has been or is working for another landscaping business. Your headaches will be less and his knowledge may compliment yours. Hiring employees will require you to take out workers comp insurance, pay unemployment insurance, and payroll taxes, and if you don't already have it commercial liability insurance. You can get all the info you need from the Dept. of employment security, your insurance company and you will also need to get a FEIN if you don't already have one. Make sure your trucks are on your commercial policy especially if employees will be driving.

8. zurfsturfcare

Thanks! I do have insurance. I need to do the workers comp and unemployment. Thank you

9. dgZtrak737

Yes
    Thanks from me too.