expanding irrigation company

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DeepRoots, Aug 21, 2006.

1. DeepRoots

DeepRoots LawnSite Member

I've worked for many years in a small town installing irrigation systems.

I've recently needed to upsize my business and I don't think the town can support it (at least not 12months a year).

I'm looking into branching out into several other towns 20-30 miles away. Obviously, no one knows me in these places.
    I've taken an ad out in the paper.... but I don't know what kinda response that'll get me, if any.

The town I currently work in, I always got jobs via word of mouth, so I'm kinda ignorant on 'getting the word out' so to speak.

any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Drew

2. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Just dont forget about the rising gas prices. It may be rough the first few years cause you may only have a few clients over there and it would be alot of drivng to replace one head. Until you have many clients to service then it may be well worth it.

3. DeepRoots

DeepRoots LawnSite Member

i drive an old 7.3idi diesel.... 89 f250.

I make my own biodiesel at $.75 a gal, and have a 50 gallon vegetable oil tank in the bed (I coverted my vehicle, and yes I pay road taxes). Veg Oil costs me about $.04 a gallon, So honestly, 60 miles a day would cost me $1.00-$1.50
    not really much to worry about.

the two towns I'm trying to hit, I called the chamber of commerce this morn for each of them.
    One is having a expo in a week and I'm going to be in it.... $150 a year to join isn't bad for a town of 60k + people.

The other chamber is $20 a month, and they have once a week meetings, they also have a spot every wednesday where all the building contractors get together and talk about where they are working and swap cards/address's.
    There is one guy that is a landscaper, but he doesn't do irrigation..... Could be a good lead. I don't mind visiting new construction to hit up the owner, it's alot better than stumbling around town hitting houses with hoses out front :)

Drew

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

People still use the Yellow Pages, so you might look at advertising there, and working within a directory's coverage area.

5. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

Try sending a newsletter to your current customers in your town. Telling them your expanding. They may have relatives or friends in these other towns.