1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Expanding lawn service

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hess, Feb 1, 2007.

1. hess

hess LawnSite Member

I do leaf removal vaccum service and thinking about expanding to aeratoring
    and appling a winter fertilzer for the customer after the last leaf removel
    service. what would be the best fertilizer to use. Any info would help!:waving:
  2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I use Fertilome but you can use just about any quality brand fertilizer out there. What most people won't tell you is that a general all purpose 12-12-12 garden fertilizer will keep just about any lawn looking good. You don't need to go out and buy the most expensive brand out there, they all contain the same main ingredients nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium the latter two for root growth and is what you will need to put down in fall or after cleanups. Whichever brand you choose you should be fine, if you not sure how much to put down or don't have much experience I would recommend a slow release fertilizer for the safety of the lawn to prevent burning. Read directions on bag for spreading and set you broadcast speader accordingly.
  3. hess

hess LawnSite Member

Thank you for the help where can you buy this Fertilome at? we Hear war story's
    about buying it at HomeDupo or Lowes et. I know you have to watch what you buy because some of it is junk. so where is the next step?