Expanding the business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nice-n'-strait, Apr 23, 2008.

1. nice-n'-strait

nice-n'-strait LawnSite Member

Hi my name is Drew Williams and I am new to Lawnsite. I have been in the business now for about 3 years with new additions to my equipment over the span of those years.

This is 2 years ago with my first mower
    DSCF0094.jpg DSCF0160.jpg

and this is what i have now along with the 31 x 10.5 tires and the 3.5" suspension lift

DSCF0001.jpg DSCF0003.jpg

I recently grabbed a Stihl FC 95 edger and the jungle jims racks

here is 1 more pics to show you what kind of work i do. im proud

0521071602.jpg

Im 18 years old and a freshman in college. I started 3 years ago with my dad's rider :)

ok so now you know my story. I want to know some way to expand my business. what equipment am i missing that would expand my horizon and make me more money by allowing me to do more stuff. etc. chainsaw, pole pruner, hedge pruners..w/e

DSCF0094.jpg

DSCF0160.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

0521071602.jpg

2. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Looks, good! Just make sure you don't expand to fast, that can be the biggest downfall of a small business.

3. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

When its all paid off, buy the extras and put them to work :D

Looks good man, keep it up.

4. nice-n'-strait

nice-n'-strait LawnSite Member

So what kind of services can I offer other than cutting, edging, etc? I do lots of spring / fall clean-ups as that is very much needed by everyone.

5. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

upsell to your customers that you have now, shrub trimming, mulching, flower/shrub planting. strips looks good!

6. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Get your pesticed license. I do more revenue in fert/weed control now than I ever made mowing

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

You can't imagine how much you'll appreciate those pictures later in life. My business has grown very well just as so many here on LS. But what I wouldn't give to have a good pic or two of the days when I started out with my '90 Ford Ranger, 12' single axle trailer, a Scott's 25/54 garden tractor, and some Ryobi handheld stuff.

If I had only known back in '99 how things would be in '08. :)

Keep up the good work.

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

You could offer dethatching. I put a JRCO dethatcher on the front of mt ztr. I am able to dethatch and pick up at the same time so it takes me the same amount of time to dethatch as it would to mow. And the plus side to that is that you get more money for it. Around here I am able to charge twice what I am for mowing.

9. SHADESOFGREENLAWNCARE

SHADESOFGREENLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Agree that you should get you pesticide licenses. When they come and do lawn next to the one I am mowing they get done twice as fast and charge almost double what I can charge to mow. If you are going to college make that your priority.

10. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Looking good, you old trailer had some small tires. Its nice to have a truck, you can do mulch and big cleanups etc, if you don't do those already