Expanding this year, looking for seasoned pro input

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassMasterNC, Feb 25, 2005.

1. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

I've been crunching numbers this month - looking at expanding to go full time. Well, I'm already full time sorta - work all day and fly at night, but mostly all solo with my brother who did the foreman job for me last year in my absence and occasional part timers to fill in on busy days. This year, I have scheduled employees and no brother - and looking to expand. I wanted to get some of the seasoned pros on here to take a gander at some of my numbers and offer any advice or guidance you might have. Please note that my costs are figured for 32 weeks and income is figured for 28 weeks - I did that on purpose to give me room for weather, down time, etc., so the actual income vs. costs are not dead on as they would be in a perfect world. Please let me know what you think? Thanks!
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I didn't look at your attachment, but where are you in NC that you only cut 32 weeks? We cut around 40 every season, that is a 2 month difference.

3. GrassMasterNC

Mike,

That was from last year - from april 1st to november 1st was 32 weeks. When do you start/stop? 40? wow! Mostly centipede around here which from my experience last year (1st year doing this) was in cutting range within those dates.
    Thanks!

Matt

4. GrassMasterNC

Oh, sorry - on the coast along the Neuse River.

5. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

only 1200 net before taxes for 35 lawns. seems low,

6. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

grassmaster: are you really going to spend that much money on gasoline... you estimated that you'll use 140 gallons per week???? with only one crew...
    I think that is a incorrect figure you could proboley cut that number in half to be more in line...also 35 lawns at $40 with one worker should take tops 40 min to complete... even less with drive time. figure 2 1/2 days of work with one helper 8-10 bones an.. how much do you have to pay for workmans comp down there?? its around 1000 up here annually..

7. GrassMasterNC

good Lord, I hope not! I factored my max limits to keep the equipment topped off and the truck running 7 days a week. Added 25% to wages for wc, tax, etc. I know my expense numbers are high, but with the overkill budgeted in, I'm looking for a way to streamline it further, to maximize the cost vs. income ratio. I know with more experience, I will be able to further narrow my cost estimations in business planning. But I like being over cautious right now. Sheet 2 has the breakdown of employee work shifts. :dizzy:

Matt

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Matt, we start back up between March 1 and the 15th and figure going through November 30th. This year we had to cut right up til December 15th. Mostly all fescue in this part of the state. I am originally from the South Eastern part of NC near the coast so i am very familar with centipede and that it stays domant there until around April, but I am surprised that you had to stop so early in November.

9. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

Once you get to 2 full time workers put them on a yearly salery it will cost you less and they will be happy they know how much money they get every week or every 2 weeks all year long. and the good people will stay with you for a long time.