Expanding to Swimming Pools

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DooleyPyne, Jul 11, 2013.

1. DooleyPyne

DooleyPyne LawnSite Member

Has anyone out there expanded their business to swimming pool construction? We do a good amount of hardscaping and we were seeing what would be involved to expand to swimming pool installation. To my knowledge we would need a worker who has constructed swimming pools before to work with our hardscapers to construct everything. From there is it just installing pump lines and such? Any information is appreciated. :cool2:

2. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

A very successful landscape/ hardscape company in my area started doing swimming pools in our area, they seem to be doing very well with it. Seems like the pool buisiness would go very well with your company, good luck!

3. RWI

RWI Banned
    from GA

If you are not the expert... don't plan on being successful. If your employee knows more than you do, you are in trouble.

4. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

Are you thinking about vinyl liner or gunite pools?

5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Swimming pool construction and renovation is 90% of what I do.

It's a lot more than building a pool and leaving. They'll want chemicals and service. And if they don't keep the water up and the plaster stains or the liner wrinkles up from low alkalinity they'll come after you.. So never say you'll balance a pool! They'll ride that for all it's worth..

There is money to be made in it tho. But do it right from the start, I've seen a lotta guys get hurt 3 months down the road from settling and broke lines because of shoddy work..

Oh and please learn filters and pumps. I've been behind more guys replacing undersized filters and way oversized pumps. That'll upset a customer an ruin a name real quick.

Also, see if you've got an SCP near by. They will help you out with material, planning and advice more so than anybody.

6. DooleyPyne

DooleyPyne LawnSite Member

Thank you guys. I will look into it more. We would obviously have to hire a couple of guys who have done work in that industry before. Much research to be done.