Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GriffinLawnService, Oct 3, 2006.

1. GriffinLawnService

GriffinLawnService LawnSite Member

I have completed my first summer with my Lawn Service an I am looking to grow. I am in the process of advertising different ways but I would like to be ready for next season with the equipment and professionalism.

I guess what I am asking is what do the full time LCO's do to build there business.

Different things like.....

Do you wash equipment after every day?
    Do your crews wear maching shirts?
    Different do's and dont's?

Sorry if this is considered a dumb question......
  2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

No such thing as a dumb question, crew's ware mathcing tee shirts and we have hats if they want them. I would reccommend taking care of your equipment and it will take care of you. Advertising is important. At the end of the season i like to scope out small commercial propertys that i think and know we can do a better job on,i make ever effort to get in touch with who i need to. Don't play:nono: the cut throat game with other L.C.O'S Sell yourself and your company ,do a great job and keep a good attitude and charge for it :clapping: Good luck !!:waving:
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As for expansion, since I am solo I believe in buying better (newer hehehe) equipment...
    Mainly, things that will make my life easier, get the job done faster, and so on.
    I don't believe so much in being able to do more stuff, just the same stuff but easier / better / faster / cheaper (but that's just me).

- Follow manufacturer maintenance schedules, even if it hurts lol.
    - Run a synthetic type of oil in ALL sump-based machines (either synthetic blend or full synthetic). Do this and you will likely never seize an engine, even if you forget to check the oil for a month. Exception is when you're breaking in an engine, you run conventional oil until the first change.
    - Use up most and drain / transfer ALL fuel before storing anything.
    - Find cheaper parts, find out what breaks the most often and order spares of at least that (so carry an inventory of parts).
    - Your own maintenance.
    - Price shop like a beotch.

DON'T be scared, do NOT be afraid but DO be careful.
    i dunno i don't got many dont's lol...
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Washing equipment? I used to, but I got tired of it... I also find the dirt protects it as much as washing / waxing, also if it doesn't look brand-new, it fits my image better (I don't want to look like all that).

I find it more productive to go over machines and replace the things that break when things got busy... During slow times maintenance is a good way to stay busy, and then when things get hopping again, the machines are r-e-a-d-y.
    A fully fixed machine can run 6 months and longer straight at peak with almost no maintenance, except a little daily mundane stuff (lube, gas, et al). Sure things will break but if it was in great shape to begin with, it should get you through... But if a machine isn't fully repaired, it can break down leaving you dead in the water, but more importantly it will slow you down the entire time.

But I do wash it, maybe once / year or so, real nice and good with warm water, sponge, tons of soap, the whole nine yards.
    It takes me at least a day, and I mean entire days...

ok, enough of me.
  5. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

I always thought you leave the gas in with a stabilizer at the end of the year. Maybe there are two ways of doing it or it might depend on your climate.

But for getting new business, I was trying to think of some things myself. I thought getting involved with your local church or any local group might give some good recognition. I was also thinking in the spring to sponser the local car washes the sport clubs have. Give them a few bucks and they let you hang your sign out and pass out business cards to everyone that gets their car washed. I've never tried this but was just thinking one day.