Expanding?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by oakhill2000, Feb 19, 2007.

1. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 LawnSite Member

Hey Guys, I have been in business for 8 years and I have always had just one employee and me working. This year I planned on buying another truck, expanding and hiring one more employee. I want to concentrate more on construction work myself and have two guys take care of the maintenance for me. Problem is I had to fire my employee of 2 years last fall, and now I am stuck looking for 2 new guys. My question is does anyone think it is possible, or be smart to hire a couple guys, without ever working with them myself, and send them out with my truck and equipment? Can I trust they get everything done like I would, or do I have to wait another year and work with them? If it is possible to find a good employee I can trust, who knows what they are doing, does anyone know where to find them? I work out of southeastern MA. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

the age old million dollar question! if you find some one you can work with for a while first, build some trust, teach him exactly how you want things done. Then after a bit hire the other guy, do the same thing and gradually get him and the other guy working together. send em out and see what happens, oh yeah and pray they don't get in a wreck or screw up your best account!

3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

in order to get someone to lead a 2 man crew and get quality work out of them i think you are going to have to pay a bit more than you might like or just have really good luck!

4. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 LawnSite Member

Well I am hoping for alot of luck here. I don't mind paying the person if they are going to get the job done right. Especially if I will be working all day myself at the same time and making close to double what I was before. I will probably work with them for a couple weeks anyway, if I can find someone with experience, just to make sure they do things the way I want them done. Any more advise, or anyone ever been in the situation?

5. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

Have been in the sitution constantly for three years! If your looking for good help don't come to the north shore! What I am trying to do this year is hire a foreman and 2 laborers, my goal is to have one crew mowing 4 days a week and myself running the other 2-3 days a week. What I want to do for thew first part of the season is trade off and on with the foreman and have him run a crew for a week them switch. I figure thisway he will get to know all the accounts and I can monitor the all the properties to insure they are running right. I do expect there to be a steep learning curve for all but this is what I need to do to grow. Now I just need to find a foreman and 2 new laborers! Been working on that all winter with no success!