Expanding...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BVLAWNCARE, Aug 3, 2004.

1. BVLAWNCARE

BVLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Good evening all folks,

I am expanding my business yet again and I have a quick question... What do the brick paving companies generally charge for retaining walls, patios and drivways and walkways... I know it depends on materials and what not but what is the general labor charge? Is is by the hour? I already know how to make all of those things just time to get pricing ideas...

Thanks for the help folks!

Vince

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Vince ...our pricing comes from years of data collected on the time it takes to complete tasks and its never fool proof.

All based on man hours- Our hourly rate, material,access, trucking etc etc markups and profit needed.

Walls have a price for base course ... then per face m2 then cap stones.

Don't think this post help you much ... best i can tell you is try to figure all your man-hours for excavation, trucking , materials and the hours needed to lay,cut and finish job.

Start to keep data on each task and before you know it you will be doing jobs at the price you need ...not what your competitors need.

3. BVLAWNCARE

Thank you very much for the reply. I think that it did help me alot and will charge what I need not what my compitition needs.. Thanks again

4. scottknussmann

scottknussmann LawnSite Member

DEPENDING ON THE SIZE AND TYPE OF ROCK, I CHARGE 10-12 DOLLARS A SQUARE FT., IF YOU DO A SINGLE FLOWERBED BORDER WITH LIMESTONE, I CHARGE 6.75 A LINEAR FT., THIS SHOULD COVER MORTAR, ROCK AND LABOR/..HEAVIER DRY STACKED RETAINING WALLS WITH A 5 x 8 STONE, I CHARGE 12-13$ A SQUARE FT. HOPE THIS HELPS BUDDY

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Scott- just so you know, typing in all CAPS is considered yelling.

That being said, those prices seem WAY too cheap to include material. I know they are what you charge, and your overhead is different than everyone else's, but it's still dirt cheap. Wanna come to Indiana?:D

Dan

6. scottknussmann

scottknussmann LawnSite Member

D Felix, sorry for the yelling!
    Not a cheap price where i live in Austin, there are landscape co. everywhere, and lowballers on every corner. For a 300 square ft. retaining wall i charge 3600.00 (12X300). This is roughly 10 tons of 5x8 rock at 70.00 a ton.(700.00) I pay my guy $2.50 a sq ft, which comes out to $750.00., leaving me a total profit of 2,150.00. Pretty good for not laying one piece of rock, therefore allowing myself to gain more customers by being available to go meet with customers, and bid more jobs, which = more money. Thanks for the reply.

7. BVLAWNCARE

I apprciate the tips and advice guys!

8. BVLAWNCARE

So wait i am a little confused... Lets say for a brick patio with a Contrete foundation, I should charge an 'x' amount of dollars per square foot or per yard rather than charge by the hour? And this charge includes materials as well? Please explain to me exactly how I should handle it because (as I'm sure you can al gues) I'd like to be ready when I get that phone call for the estimate for a patio or retaining wall ect... Thanks again for all of your help ttyl folks

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I would figure the costs on a paver job just like any other install.

You really should avoid a $/foot price; each job is different than the last. I assume you don't have a brick saw? What about a skidsteer? A transit? If you don't have any of those, you will need to rent them. Regardless of whether or not you have them or don't, they need to be worked into the cost of the job. Smaller, shorter walkways can be more labor intensive since it won't make sense to bring in equipment for excavation. That will ultimately cause the final $/foot price to increase.

If you want to figure out what it will take to do a certain job, then divide that by the number of square feet, fine. Over time and several bids, you will get a feel for what each job will take. It probably would be fine if you told the client a "ballpark" figure (I still hate to do that, but some are insistant), but still go back to the office and refigure.

Did any of that rambling make sense?

Dan

10. BVLAWNCARE

Yes sir it did help me and I will try. Do you suggest charging by the hour for any job? Like say for me and two guys to do the job say it will take 48 total hours (excavating, istallation, trucking ect) and charge like $50/hr plus rentals, plus materials or is $/sqft. better?